Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fridge is not working on 110 AC hook up

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
Right now my van is packed full of gear, but when I can more easily get to my inverter or converter or whatever I got again I'll snap a pic and figure out what I got.

One thing is true is that none of my AC outlets nor my microwave work unless I'm plugged in. My fridge is a Norcold DC0051 and that thing just keeps on going even in Phoenix's 115 degree days.

Love the idea of solar panels for the fridge or was debating getting a Honda 2000 generator to run things when I'm boondocked. This is off topic, but is there an aux. rooftop AC unit that is small enough to be powered by a Honda2000 that is still strong enough to cool my van when it's 115 out.

Jason
As far as I know, most everything I've seen requires about 2800w generator to get a reasonably efficient cool down. I have an air conditioner tech friend who is looking into a smaller personal A/C that might not cool the entire van, but blows cool air. The funny thing is they make window A/C's that would do a good job that a 2000w could run. So we'll see.

As to the converter, most have the ability to charge as Greg mentioned. Somewhere there should be a charge switch in your van or on the converter. But they do make non charging models where folks just hook up a car charger or charge by other means. At a minimum I'd be looking for that switch. If it automatically charges while plugged in you can take a DC outlet plug-in voltmeter, plug it in (somewhere other than the dash outlets) and note the voltage, then plug the van into shore power and see if the voltage goes up to about 14.2vDC.
If the converter doesn't have a charger you should purchase a good 3 stage charger at a minimum to keep your house battery topped off when the van sits.
Your Refrigerator is only DC and will not work off AC so that probably indicates you do have a converter. You'll have to find out the model of the converter and/or test as noted above.
Watch the battery voltage as you camp. It should not drop below 12.2 if you have an AGM type house battery.

Good luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote