Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fridges.. If you had your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe4me
I typically travel with three kids. There are plenty of pit stops for (not to mention a little extra need for) getting a "roadie" out of the back!
I'll have to admit that is one nice looking build you have. Unfortunately there is no room for me with that setup. I'm trying to figure out a way to add a small freezer to take the place of my Roadie behind the rear bench seat but still allow me to use the lower 50 bed. The lower section below the bed holds chairs and tables and more. Like Jack (YVRR), I store so much on top of the rear bed I just don't know where I'd put it all. If Like I've posted, if have to bunk below most of the stuff on the bed gets shoved up front on the seats. If I had to store what I put below the bed somewhere else, I'd be out of room.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe4me
I love my National Luna 50. I got the single temperature version. (Either freezer or fridge). I had initially planned to get the freezer/fridge combo but my wife talked me out of it. After several trips I think it was a good call. We really would rather have more fridge space than keep Otter Pops and ice cream around. The thing keeps drinks so cold we don't need ice.
It is super quiet. I also really like having the electronics turn the unit off if the battery gets low. The built in battery minder is a huge plus. I'm not an electrical engineer and appreciate not having to worry if I'm running the batteries down too much.

I got the mounting plate and attached it to a locking slider under the mezzanine on my van.

On trips we rarely remove the fridge but it's nice to easily remove it if needed.
Holy hell what an awesome setup. So you just had all this put in under a platform bed setup? I love it, and this may help steer my impending build!!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #23

I have an all electric Engel MT60 Combi Fridge & Freezer.

http://www.engel-usa.com/products/en...fridge-freezer

I imported it from Australia for $1800 in 2004-2005. It works but uses a good 3.5-4.5 amps and hopefully it will last forever. Unfortunately since it's an Aussie unit it uses 240v ac at 50Hz (any of you electrical wizards know what would happen if I ran it on 240v ac at 60Hz?) so I only run it on 12v dc. Since I bought mine, they are now imported into America by Engel-USA.com. There are also competing products which others have mentioned in this thread. They may or may not be better. You guys tell me.

I was recently looking at homedepot.com for an ac adapter for my little Ridgid X4 cordless radio (I couldn't find one, so let me know if you find one please) and came across this which looks like an Engel knock off. Much cheaper, anybody have any experience with these? At $719, may be worth considering?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-2...specifications

Hey, would you guys mind posting your actual amperage draw? Obviously, running a freezer will draw more than a fridge. But I notice that the manufacturers mention "average" amperage draw. I assume that this is for a particular (but unstated) duty cycle (of probably 50%) which I believe means that the manufacturer's average amperage draw must be doubled for a 100% duty cycle say on 100F days.
Attached Thumbnails
Engel_MT60_Combi_4e0c3e592a782.jpg   1f4fdd2b-9330-4f60-82a2-bbd85763ddc3_400.jpg  
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Prally-notice that canoe's setup looks to be in a sprinter, would be much different and tighter with that layout installed in a ford.
We supplement our oem "noisecold" SMB fridge in our "50" with an Engle 45 top load fridge/freezer when needed or taking longer trips, works great. We've put it next to the 2nd barn door, last trip it was compression strapped on top of the rear bed deck with the cushion removed, but we didn't need to sleep down there. A few have mounted Engle or similar fridge/freezers like ARB to sliders in a custom cab layout.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #25

We have had the Cruise 130 ASU for the last couple years. Link below. It's been on and used everyday since install and we really like it. It's fairly efficient for an upright but not as efficient as a top loader. I keep it full of beer to between trips which helps keep its cold when the door is open. For our build the upright made better use of space as the door opens into the isle. Occasionally I hear the compressor rattling around but so does everything else in the van....

http://www.indelwebastomarineusa.com...html/9907.html

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Prally-notice that canoe's setup looks to be in a sprinter, would be much different and tighter with that layout installed in a ford.
We supplement our oem "noisecold" SMB fridge in our "50" with an Engle 45 top load fridge/freezer when needed or taking longer trips, works great. We've put it next to the 2nd barn door, last trip it was compression strapped on top of the rear bed deck with the cushion removed, but we didn't need to sleep down there. A few have mounted Engle or similar fridge/freezers like ARB to sliders in a custom cab layout.
I was thinking about this:
http://www.engel-usa.com/products/fr...ote-compressor

If I skip the stove in an RB37 layout that would be the perfect place to put it, then if I needed a yeti coolor or additional engel unit (unlikely), I could just set it in the back. Has anyone used this type of engel?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #27

I'm having a Dometic 3.8cf installed in the van. We also have an ARB 50qt which we've loved since we got it 5 yrs ago. The ARB is just great to move vehicle to vehicle. I've never had a Dometic fridge but we'll see how it goes!
94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #28

I saw some of the amperage draw comments and a lot of great commentary here. A few quick notes:

1. I'm sold on the national Luna, the amperage and specs are stellar. It appears to be the best possible fridge for my rig.

2. Refrigerator compressors basically operate at a single amperage (after the initial startup surge). Colder fridge or bigger fridge actually just means more cycles in most cases.

Bonus Round: Your window unit AC is the same story, the compressor only operates at one level, so you should always use it on high which really just controls the fan.

Yours truly, a stationary engineer in a previous career :-)
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #29

Garage

I'm pretty sure all the high efficiency 12vdc refrigerators utilize variable speed compressors...

Quote:
Turbo Mode: Hooked to the mains, or in a vehicle with the engine running, the intelligent controller automatically runs the compressor in high-speed Turbo mode to maximize cooling efficiency. When the engine is off and the battery is not being charged, the controller automatically switches to the power saving mode to minimize battery drain.

Danfoss BD35F Compressor: The largest European manufacturer of compressors have created this ultra high efficiency unit with variable speed capability, thereby using very little current draw from the battery.
http://www.columbiaoverland.com/nati...luminum-finish
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350 View Post
NorCold can be either good or bad. Some swear by them, some swear at them. Mine was noisy, but I pulled it out and remounted the compressor and it is quiet now. I'm a light sleeper and I can sleep with my head next the the fridge cabinet.

Mike
Hey - can you comment on how you remounted the compressor? Mine is super load.
Thanks
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote