Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #11

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Furnace removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
I got Suburban's furnace specs and it claims 1.7 amps/hour for the fan. What do others know about this?
All I know is that is was too much for me. The fan runs continually while the furnace is burning fuel. It runs before the cycle and it runs after the cycle. My battery (AGM) would run low and the heater wouldn't come on until I waited an hour or so.

Regards,

Keith

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Chevytonner
I guess I don't follow the logic in replacing a dedicated RV furnace with a portable propane heater in hopes of it being safer. All campers that use propane inside should have a propane alarm and it is also a good practice to crack a vent or window at night as a precaution against oxygen starvation, especially with cat heaters. I even opened a vent when I used a portable electric heater in the van, even thought it was more for moisture control.
I would feel much safer with a properly working rv furnace in my rig any day. Yes, the trade off is high electrical consumption by the furnace fan, but I'd rather wake up cold than not wake up and stone cold.

Rick

Two things come to mind. One is that I can leave it behind 10 months out of the year and free up the space. Two, my old built in has not O2 sensor with auto shut off. I believe the new portable ones have this. I'd rather have one with an outside vent and and 02 absorber. Maybe the new built ins have this.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

used to use the buddy heater in the 99 eurovan westfalia wkender -- it would get really misty inside by morning on a cold night without a lot of venting and getting cold. (early March in Montana mtns) about 10 above

I then crossed to the dark side in Novemeber.Gave eurovan to daughter when I was able to get an old 1992 smb. I love the dedicated furnace-- works great but it has 2 pretty good sized batteries, and solar panels. I guess I'm getting old but I like the extras the old smb has -- heat and a good frig.

Al McCurry
almccurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
I got Suburban's furnace specs and it claims 1.7 amps/hour for the fan. What do others know about this?
I'm sorry, I must have been thinking of the DC refrig draw. My Suburban is drawing 3A when running. I guess that wouldn't bother me if it were quiet.

Generally, we turn the heat off at night and turn it on before we get up in the morning. We can reach the thermostat from the bed. While in bed we keep each other warm with the help of a good down comforter.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #15

Did you take pictures as you tore it down?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Did you take pictures as you tore it down?
I didn't. But having taking out 2/3 of the interior, there's not much to it. Just tedioius Almost everything is held together by small "L" shaped brackets with 2 screw holes per side. A flexible drill extension is critical. I have a couple of cans full of screws and brackets I have removed. I looked at the new construction at SMB-Austin and they appear to be using the same technique currently.

So for the furnace, you just unscrew what can be unscrewed. Pull the two strips of wood that are lightly stapled in (they held the piece over the heater up), disconnect the gas and electric, and pull out. The only think connecting it to the body were two longer screws at about 45 degrees sunk into the floor and facing towards the cabin.

Eventually, I am taking everything out and replacing the carpet with some sort of flooring.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #17

We're having the Suburban propane furnace installed in a cabinet beneath the microwave shelf on the passenger side. The cabinet is part of the galley and there is a gaucho on the drivers side so we were concerned about access for maintenance and future replacement. We asked if Sportsmobile would use KeKu clips (cabinet face plate clips) to allow easy removal of the front cabinet cover around the furnace vent cover. Since the microwave shelf is removable that would make access to the furnace easier and it could be pulled out if need be by angling it upwards as it gets pulled clear of the counter top. Sportsmobile did not want to install the clips, but offered to make a duplicate cabinet face plate for me to do it. Does anyone think we will have problems getting at the furnace through a small adjoining side access door in the cabinet? The only other way to reach the furnace will be from above after removal of the microwave shelf.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #18

I just wanted to add to this set of posts that whether you use a propane or diesel furnace that gets combustion air from out side and sends exhaust out, that a carbon monoxide sensor is a must as both types of furnaces could fail such that their heat exchangers mix exhaust gas with interior air that is heated as it flow through the heat exchanger. This could result in carbon monoxide coming into the van. This should be obvious, but it is so important I thought I would mention it. . . .
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote