Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Gaucho bed replacement?

Our SMB was built in 1997 and the bed part of the Guacho is just too hard for sleeping. I'm looking for suggestions/replacements that would make it softer/more mattress-like. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Re: Gaucho bed replacement?

We had the same issue with out dinette bed. I took the cushions to a local foam shop. They had a wide variety of foam densities to chose from. We picked the one we liked and he replaced the old foam inside the cushions with new foam. It is now much more comfortable to sleep on. Our local Yellow Pages, yes the phone book, has a listing for Foam and Sponge Rubber suppliers. The other place you could check is a local upholstery shop.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norockets
Our SMB was built in 1997 and the bed part of the Guacho is just too hard for sleeping. I'm looking for suggestions/replacements that would make it softer/more mattress-like. Thanks.

My 2003 RB40 has had the Gaucho replaced with a custom set up that I am not happy with....previous owner.

Take pictures if you disassemble it for me please.. If you want to get rid of your gaucho let me know, I am looking for the parts to rebuild mine.
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

I'm trying to avoid total replacement - I'm hoping that a local upholstery shop can replace the current suspension with foam, etc. as was suggested. Unfortunately, it's not separate cushions, but a single unit which is just thin foam and hard wire springs; as a result I carry a couple of Walmart memory foam pads for sleeping. I'd prefer to eliminate the bulk of carrying extra pads. But I think replacing the current insides with softer foam may be a major task.
I have found custom mattress makers online and am looking into a custom mattress which I would probably put on top of a sheet of cut plywood as a new couch for the Guacho. Either way, I'll hold on to any parts I eliminate from the current set-up.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

We have a well-worn 1995 gaucho that my wife was unhappy with from the start. The SMB gaucho, just FYI, uses standard 3" basic foam which is pretty much what most every camper seat and bed are upholstered with. You can probably get some better foam, a firm or memory foam type, that will help. Since my wife has back trouble and I can sleep anywhere that I stop for a minute, I begrudgingly had an additional 3" memory foam mattress cut by a local foam/upholstery place that now I have to carry around. I read that you don't really want to do this and I understand why. Trust me, it's a huge piece to lug around and deal with. I sectioned off an area under my gaucho where we roll it and stuff it, and since it's memory foam it will compact in to a small space, but I still do not love dealing with it.**

**This post would be worded rather differently if my wife every frequented this forum.

Good luck and glad to give you more info or snap some pics of my storage solution if it will help.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #6

Tagged for interest.

The GF loves our flip-over style goucho but I sleep right on the seam. I wonder if they used the same foam on the bottom and back in '97. Maybe I'm just feeling the seam? Maybe we (I) need some more modern foam. Waaaay better than our tent and air mattress of old, of course, but I did wake up in the middle of the night last weekend and noticed the seam. Then again, maybe I just had to pee...but that's another project

Seems like replacing the padding alone wouldn't be that difficult if a certain friend has a proper staple nailer. Hmm.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Seems like replacing the padding alone wouldn't be that difficult if a certain friend has a proper staple nailer. Hmm.
I do.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #8

I don't know what the gaucho seat and back upholstery and "under wires" looked like originally, but the original owners of my SMB mentioned that they had had it re-done at some point. It looks original, functions as original (it's the roll over type), and had the original fabric reinstalled, so the mods were some level of upholstery/upholstery-support in the cushion. It is a bit firm, but completely flat and supportive (which I prefer). I put an REI inflatable sleeping pad on top of it (like a generic Thermarest) and that makes it just right, plus tailorable by amount of air. (I have used these on many boat/RV beds over the years as a topper). If it didn't happen to fit perfectly I would likely use some cushy foam (ILD 18 or so). In my case it is basically very comfortable but just not quite cushy enough on the very surface.

I could look it over more closely and/or take photos if anyone wanted.

I have contacted SMB west in the past to ask about new seat/back cushions for a roll over bed (not to replace these as they are great, but for another project), and they were available for $700-$800 (I forget the exact price). This would be the complete back and seat, ready to roll, but not the base frame or roll over arms. So that is apparently another option.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote