Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Getting a new propane tank purged in So Cal

Does anyone has any experience and/or suggestions where I can get a new propane tank properly purged in So Cal?

A simple online search points out two methods......one is using a vacuum pump to evacuate the cylinder before filling and the other is to introduce propane vapor into the cylinder and purge with a purge kit 4-5 times to get about 95% of the air out of the tank.

I have called at least 1/2 dozen So Cal propane places (Ferrellgas, Suburban, Camping World, etc) and no one has a clue about either of the above two methods....

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rv ... /id45.html

https://www.fwwebb.com/gas/technical-re ... tainer.php

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

Re: Getting a new propane tank purged in So Cal

I get mine refilled at El Toro RV
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

When I had a brand new tank that needed to be filled, I was told to mention the fact it was never before filled to the propane jockey. I took it to a propane business (not a gas station), and the guy thanked me for mentioning the fact to him, he seemed to spend a little more time filling/purging, but I can't honestly say if he followed any specific procedure.

Herb
Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Does anyone has any experience and/or suggestions where I can get a new propane tank properly purged in So Cal?
Mike Thompson RV in Costa Mesa? DDRV in westminster?
1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Years back I worked at Quinn Caterpillar and we regularly filled/purged new tanks for customers. No extra charge, just takes a couple extra minutes and a little more broccoli smell in the air! Anyplace that fills propane can do it (if they know how) but you might have better luck at a rental yard or bulk distributor vs a gas station.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Sorry I can't contribute anything positive to towards an answer but it probably helps explain why the small propane tank I bought didn't last anywhere near as long as I was expecting when I used it after a first fill-up. It was just filled to weight, not purged at all. Learn useful things all the time on SMBForum!
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Mike Thompson RV in Costa Mesa? DDRV in westminster?
Mike Thompson just opens the bleeder when filling and DDRV doesn't do propane......

I called Manchester tank and the woman who answered the phone knew exactly what my question was about...and she confirmed that proper purging involves either of the two methods in the links in the first post here.....She suggested large RV dealers and ask them if they have any certified propane techs.

So far nobody around town is even remotely familiar with the recommended purge methods and I've yet to find a certified propane tech.

So far.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

I've read accounts of other people with new tanks having the same problem finding someone to properly purge it. Seems bizarre! I mean, okay, maybe not a corner gas station, but a more serious propane place.... you'd think (and yet....no).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Hi,

Back 30 years ago when I was a licensed propane (EDIT Plant Operator!) handler or fitter or juggler (or whatever I can't remember now) we purged new propane cylinders of their test contents of nitrogen by squirting a short blast of propane into the cylinder and then venting it into the atmosphere (oh how times have changed). This was repeated 3 times to ensure the nitrogen was out and the propane was in.

Essentially we turned the tank upside down and mixed the nitrogen and propane together so that the customer had a minimal load of nitrogen in the tank that might hinder the burning of the added propane contents.

The same purging was recommended for tanks that had run dry. Either way we charged for the service.

Those of you who may recall my fondness for propane know that I have posted how to refill numerous small propane containers. Most of those have run dry. I don't purge them, just refill them. I've had no problems with combustibility ever. Maybe a larger 20lb or larger, already in use, cylinder would have issues without purging, but I've never seen it.

I suggest using whatever purging system is legal and getting on with the BBQ.

No real vendor of propane is going to have any issue with purging. Their license would depend on it.

Opah! Saganaki!

Regards,

Gavin
Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
This was repeated 3 times to ensure the nitrogen was out and the propane was in.

Gavin: This ensures that most of the nitrogen is out.....I haven't come across a local propane vendor that does any repeats yet.......

2003 Honda Element