Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Orv

Garage
Question Graywater tank drain question

I just purchased a 1990 E-250 Sportsmobile. I'm new to Sportsmobiles but experienced with RVs in general, and I'm a little confused by the graywater tank drain.

Other RVs I've owned either had a standard 3/4" male garden hose fitting for the graywater drain, or the graywater fed into a 3" bayonet fitting for a standard RV dump hose.

On this van, the graywater tank drain goes to a gate valve, then a very short stub with a 2.25" outer diameter (1.75" inner diameter). There doesn't seem to be any sort of fitting for a hose to direct the water.

Am I missing a piece? The valve faces backwards toward the rear wheel, so I could imagine a blowout ripping off something attached to it, but it doesn't appear broken off.

Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

I would call Sportsmobile Indiana on that one. There is some old school knowledge at that location I don't think the others have. I'm betting there is a specific hose for that that you may not have though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
rnj

Mine has a 2" x 5" elbow that swivels at that fitting with the garden hose fitting and cap on the end. Swivel up when not in use and to the side/outward when in use.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

I think this is the end your talking about.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Garage
My grey water tank has a gate valve and a hook-up for a garden hose but even with a very short hose it drains very slowly so I just drain it into a bucket and then dump that into the dump station or a vault toilet if a dump station is unavailable. One less hose to carry and worry about mixing up with the drinking water hose.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Orv

Garage
Mine looks a bit like that except I don't have the garden hose adapter.

I'm sure I can fab something up with plumbing fittings. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something, first.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Orv

Garage
So, as noted I had just the 1-1/2 inch gate valve with nothing connected. I rarely anticipate camping at places with sewer hookups, so I mostly just wanted to be able to dump neatly and quickly at dump stations. I added an elbow, a short length of pipe, and a 1-1/2 NPT adapter. This will go with a 1-1/2 threaded coupling attached to a length of pool discharge hose - the roll-flat stuff. We’ll see how it works out. I’m thinking this will be quicker than draining through a garden hose adapter, and less likely to clog the first time someone gets a bean or a corn kernel down the drain.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Mine has the hose but

They did not vent the tank on my All Terrain Warrior! Peter kept telling me it was vented and I assumed so after it kept overflowing over the top of the tank. I finally got tired of it,dropped the tank and found 3 inlet holes only. 1 for shower, 1 for sink and 1 for tank monitor. The sink inlet had come out and was the culprit of over flowing. Now that I put in securely I have draining problems cause no vent. Thanks to Sportsmobile incompetence !🤬
HatchetMatt is offline   Reply With Quote