Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #21

Re: Heat for a Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
just found this

http://www.boatelectric.com/espsize2.htm

has specs for Hydronic and Airtronic

did not read all but appears that Hydronic REQUIRES engin running

for me, that would seem a bummer.....
There is a circulation pump that is part of the package, so the Hydronic can preheat the engine and also runs the heater fan so you can be warm when you start off. There is a timer that can start the heater at a set time each day, so you can have a warm van everyday you leave for work. Very havdy option if you ask me . The bad part is unless its re-wired, it pulls from the starting battery.

Greg

springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #22

Our Sprinter, currently in production at SMB West, is having a hydronic system installed. It will supply cabin heat, water heat, and (diesel) engine pre-heat. Will be done in mid-December. Will be happy to report on its performance after we get our hands on it. Greg we have pm-ed you with our contact info.
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
There is a circulation pump that is part of the package, so the Hydronic can preheat the engine and also runs the heater fan so you can be warm when you start off. There is a timer that can start the heater at a set time each day, so you can have a warm van everyday you leave for work. Very havdy option if you ask me . The bad part is unless its re-wired, it pulls from the starting battery.

Greg
I don't have any idea what the factory supplies on Sprinters. Obvously the factory does not install a flat plate. My guess is SMB orders the vans without any espar stuff and adds it during the build if requested. Correct?

SMB installed all my equipment on my E-350. When I received my van in 2005, the Hydronic was designed to warm the engine W/O the extra water pump option. The unit itself moved water throughout the block but it was somewhat slow. It's all I used for several years and heated the engine slightly within the 2 hour run time during early morning before engine startup. The additional pump speeds things up and does a much better job as a pre-warmer when installed. I'm glad I had SMB install the extra pump last year. But that pump was really designed to give hot water via the flate plate after the engine has been running without having to run the Hydronic. Many opt for the flate plate and circulating pump and no Hydronic for hot water. If my Hydronic fails, I can fall back on the Flate Plate and pump as a backup. Everything on my Hydronic and Airtronic units are wired to the house battery system so there is no way of killing my starting batteries. The extra pump pulls more than the Espar units after they are up and running. I don't know what brand pump SMB installed but it pulls 3-4 amps as I posted earlier.

And yes, I would not want to have to run the Airtronic on high only...that was just a suggestion by Lube Spc. The Airtronic is so quiet on the low setting I'm glad I have the D-4 to knock off the cold throughout the night. On all but the coldest nights I run it on low while sleeping up top with a couple windows cracked open. I like cold air on my face while keeping the lower section above the 40* mark. I'll deal with the carbon buildup. Just do some maintenance every 3-4 years.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #24

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I used the D2 on advice and listening to problems on the forum. So far it as done fine in keeping the Sprinter warm. Running on high though it sounded like a jet engine especially on the outside. Not wanting to start a deer stampede, I added a muffler which takes the noise down an acceptable notch or two.

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
I used the D2 on advice and listening to problems on the forum. So far it as done fine in keeping the Sprinter warm. Running on high though it sounded like a jet engine especially on the outside. Not wanting to start a deer stampede, I added a muffler which takes the noise down an acceptable notch or two.

Regards,

Keith
Keith, what did you have before the Espar?
Why did you switch?
How does the Espar compare to the previous system?
Thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #26

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

We had a normal RV Suburban propane heater. It would warm everything well but the fan used a lot of electricity. Also, I really wanted to get rid of the heavy propane tank so switching to an Espar was step one.

After staring at all the wires and parts for a couple of months, I finally got it installed in a couple of days (http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/tag/espar-heater/). I think it is just as good as the propane heater although I have yet to use it at altitude.

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #27

FWIW

met a guy and his wife yesterday in Death Valley

(sorry bro, bad w/ names....nice meeting you!)

has a 2006 Stinker (sorry, mean diesal)

in Utah, -15 degrees:

Blew up his flat plate, lost coolant
and
Blew up his Espar

Both here and The Samba
folks have complained about the Espar/Propex heaters at altitude and extreme cold

I am sticking with my 30+ year old technology
a Noisy, power sucking Suburban

I asked the wife:
you want Quiet or Warm
we both picked warm

my two satang
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #28

Quote:
We had a normal RV Suburban propane heater. It would warm everything well but the fan used a lot of electricity. Also, I really wanted to get rid of the heavy propane tank so switching to an Espar was step one.

After staring at all the wires and parts for a couple of months, I finally got it installed in a couple of days (http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/tag/espar-heater/). I think it is just as good as the propane heater although I have yet to use it at altitude.

Regards,

Keith
so far so good.
what are your plans for hot water and cooktop? I'm assuming both are still propane.
thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
FWIW

met a guy and his wife yesterday in Death Valley

(sorry bro, bad w/ names....nice meeting you!)

has a 2006 Stinker (sorry, mean diesal)

in Utah, -15 degrees:

Blew up his flat plate, lost coolant
and
Blew up his Espar

Both here and The Samba
folks have complained about the Espar/Propex heaters at altitude and extreme cold

I am sticking with my 30+ year old technology
a Noisy, power sucking Suburban

I asked the wife:
you want Quiet or Warm
we both picked warm

my two satang
nice counterpoint BW. this is getting interesting
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:

Regards,

Keith
so far so good.
what are your plans for hot water and cooktop? I'm assuming both are still propane.
thanks!
We have an electric hot water heater which does great but we never use it. DW prefers to heat water on the stove as part of her dishwashing technique. Stove top will use the small canisters which I already carry for an outdoor grill or a 1-1/2 gallon tank. I am going to build an sealed compartment perhaps under the stove top with either a door to the outside or if the door is inside a vent to the outside.

Since the D2 is not tied to the cooling system - it is an Airtronic not a Hydronic I don't worry about the cooling system, plate, etc. Also in an emergency there is the heater on the Sprinter itself. I have the idle controller so I can kick the idle up to 2k rpm and run it for a couple of hours.

Keith