Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Help: Adding third captain's chair in SMB

I just picked up my "new to me" SMB, a 1998 Ford EB with the PH roof. Layout is close to an EB-18, but not an exact match. It's my first SMB, although I had an 88 VW Westy for a while. I've been looking for a SMB for several years, and finally found one in my price range, in good condition, and not too far away (a real challenge here on the East Coast).

Anyway... to make it workable for traveling with my seven-year-old I need to install one captain's chair and a three-point seatbelt in the second row. (He could ride in the rear dinette benches, but I think that would get old after a while.) Right now the sink cabinet is there, so I'll have to rework that cabinet to make room for the chair - I'll probably just cut the cabinet down some or make a new cabinet, as the sink doesn't take up much room.

I've searched the archives a lot, but haven't found any good writeups (with photos) on retrofitting a captain's chair into an already built SMB, and most importantly, anchoring the three-point-belt support to the top/side of the van. I already have a captain's chair to use there, and plan to buy a removable swivel base and appropriate mounting hardware (including under-van brackets).

My biggest question: for anyone who has done this, where and how did you mount the upper seatbelt support? I imagine Ford has designed in areas along the inside top rail for this sort of thing, but the SMB conversion has covered it all up so I'm not sure how to go about finding it without taking the interior apart.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Attached Thumbnails
SMB_pic1.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Re: Help: Adding third captain's chair in SMB

SMB Indiana installed a 3rd captain's chair next to the side door for me. The upper seatbelt mount looks like a Ford item and is bolted into the roof and can pivot. You might call SMB and talk to them about it. I has a notch to slip the seat belt in or out. The chair is identical to the passenger chair and uses the builtin seatbelt.

SMB mounted the chair on a removable base with 4 1/2" bolts. The base that stayed in the van was about 1 1/2" tall (toe-breaker), so I made a nut plat and bolted it under the van and have 4 flathead screws in the holes while the chair is in the garage.

If you need more info, just ask and I'll do what I can to help you.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do. In fact, the captain's chair I picked up has the seatbelt already with it and it has that removable tab to connect with the piece that mounts to the van. Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from sold the van and didn't remove that piece.

If you have a few minutes and could take a pic or two of where that upper seatbelt mount goes relative to the doors, or any other info that can help me locate the proper place to attach it, I'd be very appreciative. Also, any general "context" pics of the seat would be great.

When I do get it done I'll be sure to start a thread with pics and a write-up.

-Brian
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

This should help figure out where the belt hanger belongs.

Good luck,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

I suggest looking to both a stock passenger van, and also a bare cargo van. The vans all have the anchors built-in, and this will allow you to see where you will find them. NOTE: The seatbelt hook on the wagon, is also an anchor for aftermarket seating. The is the location of the SMB upper seatbelt mount.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

First post: CVC (http://www.cvcandmore.com) of Stanton, CA has integrated seat belts in thier seats. The guys are very helpful and give a great deal. I fabbed some steel plate that bolt to the factory mounts then welded a SMB swivel base to the plate in the location of my choice.

I will post some photos in the next couple of days for your review
jrpete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Thanks. I ended up getting a pedestal, belt, and installation done by Cyclevan in NJ. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9212