Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #11

Re: How dark is your tint?

I thought it best to follow my state's laws for this (see below). What was most frustrating was to learn every state has their own requirements and some don't allow any tint!

You may tint your vehicle to 24% VLT for the front doors of any SUV. The back half can be any darkness you prefer. As for passenger vehicles, you may tint up to 24% on all windows except the windshield. All windshield tinting can only be tinted to a max of 6" from the top or the as1 mark. The article below is from the Washington State Patrol as of 2009.

Washington State Patrol Window Tint Regulations:
?Sunscreening devices are products, permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary, which reduce the adverse effects of the sun. RCW 46.37.430
Materials not permitted
?Mirror finish products
?Red, Yellow, Gold, or Black material
?Brushed or sprayed on material. RCW 46.37.430
?Sunscreening devices and/or recreational products may not be applied to, or suspended between the driver and the windshield, or to the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver. Recreational products may be applied to other windows only if they do not interfere, by their size and/or position with the driver's ability to see other vehicles, persons, and objects.RCW 46.37.430
?Must have both left and right side-view mirrors if window tinting is applied, allowing a 200' view to the rear. RCW 46.37.430
?The maximum level of sunscreening material to be applied to any window, except the windshield, shall have a total reflectance of 35% or less, and a light transmittance of 24% or more. RCW 46.37.430
?Exemption - Doctor's orders. RCW 46.37.430 A greater degree of sunscreening may be applied to the top 6" of the windshield. RCW 46.37.430

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #12

I'm pretty sure California allows any amount of darkness in all windows behind the driver. The front roll ups can have 70% which is basically clear (just UV protection), and I don't think you're allowed to have anything on the windshield.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #13

Just got a "fix it" tint ticket in Big Bear for the passenger windows and glad I had tint. He let me off light on a potentially expensive ticket for other things but since I had the tint he just gave me a tint ticket instead.

I had it removed and signed off by CHP and said no tint at all on front passenger windows and showed me the code for it.

Not surprisingly I have had the conversation with many people since and most thought you could have light tint on passenger windows.

I have tint again as of a few weeks ago....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

With the 70%, you really can't even tell its on there. Its literally clear and all it does is block UV rays. Sometimes having some film on your rollups can help you out like in your situation! I think most places don't care too much if its light since a lot of people go with pretty dark film on their rollups.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

What sucks is when the officer scratches the tint and says yup, it's tinted I carry a weapon and being pulled over is dangerous even though I'm legal. I try to obey most laws that can get me pulled over. Too many over zealous dopes out there. Not to go off topic but yes, there is a difference cautious and over zealous.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #16

So guys what i am understand is
for examble your car is registered in TX than you can get a ticket because of tint in NY??? Even if the tint is alowed in TX?
Thats funny....than you have (theoretic) remove it on the "border"....Here in europe the law of your registration country has priority
So one time i will go with my german registered car to the US. That means that i can get into problems because of....exhaust, tint, bumber, and and and......????
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

As a long time motorcyclist and cyclist, I don't think tint should ever be allowed or used on front passenger and driver windows. Being able to make eye contact with the driver at the intersection ahead of you, or just being able to see if they are paying attention or not, is critical to survival. There's also the issue of the tint affecting the drivers ability under less than optimal conditions to pick up something marginally visible such as a bicycle or pedestrian approaching with the right of way.

I see it as a safety issue and personally think safety trumps convenience or aesthetics every time...
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
So guys what i am understand is
for examble your car is registered in TX than you can get a ticket because of tint in NY??? Even if the tint is alowed in TX?
Thats funny....than you have (theoretic) remove it on the "border"....Here in europe the law of your registration country has priority
So one time i will go with my german registered car to the US. That means that i can get into problems because of....exhaust, tint, bumber, and and and......????

Yes, yes and no. If your state law allows tint but the neighboring state's does not, you can be fined for violating the laws of the state your vehicle is currently in. I had this issue with Texas/NM tint laws many years ago. I know of a member of another forum who was hauling a big heavy trailer behind his pick-up, all perfectly legal in his home state but not in California, where for the load and size, a heavy duty drivers license was required. The fine was in the thousands! I suspect this happens more where the supposed violation was actually just an excuse to stop someone for committing the offense of "driving while black or brown".

The difference is between national and state laws. Only the federal 'gummint can regulate the importation of vehicles. Federal law trumps state law in areas where the Feds have been granted jurisdiction. So it would not affect your operating a foreign vehicle under temporary importation. You might be stopped but it would be a very odd thing for a cop to even try to ticket you under the circumstances and I do not believe it would be enforceable.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #19

I have 140% tint as I never take my Reflectix out anymore and have the day shades pulled over that.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #20

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
... Being able to make eye contact with the driver at the intersection ahead of you, or just being able to see if they are paying attention or not, is critical to survival....
i just assume everyone doesnt see me and havent had any issues so far. seems like drivers around here are doing everything but driving when driving. whether im in a itty bitty car or the van i seem to be invisable anymore, so assuming nobody sees me seems to work so far.

i just had all my windows in van tinted to 25%. state law is 35% on driver/passenger fronts and rear window and as dark as you want everywhere else. normally on my cars i do 15% on sides and 25% on rear window. ive tinted my windshield at 35% before and loved it, but its not easy finding a place that will tint the windshield in the car. we have our racecars windshield tinted at 50% right now, and its great.

ive been given one tint ticket by a ******* cop on christmas eve one year, but thats it. ive had illegally tinted windows on all my cars since ive been legal to drive (1985). when i get pulled over in my cars, i roll down all windows and open sunroof and place hands on wheel so officer can see that there are no visable threats as he approaches my vehicle. yes sir and no sir every question and im usually sent on my way without hassle.

our tint laws were from one isolated incident where a state bull approched a car with blacked out windows and as soon as officer got next to car, he was shot and killed on side of highway. most everybody i know has illegal tint, and most are never even talked to about it unless they are not treating officer with respect, or the cop is just looking for a reason to hand out tickets.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote