Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Induction cooktop?

Is anyone using one of these induction cooktop in their camper? Sounds like an interesting alternative or complement to either propane or diesel cooktops.
http://www.amazon.com/True-Induction-Co ... ble+burner

If so, just curious how it's working out for you? I have the typical two "house" batteries in my Ambo, not sure how they would handle it...

Cheers
Mr. D
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Re: Induction cooktop?

1800 at 120v is a lot of power as in 15 amps continuous. Think 18 100 watt light bulbs all on at once. If memory serves induction is not very efficient to cook with.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Doesn't that convert to 165 amp draw at 12v or am I off on the conversion factor?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

I'm all ear... If it's not feasible that's fine but since it only takes a fraction of the time to boil water I'd like to know for sure. Seems pretty power hungry though!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

1800 watts at 12v would be 150 amps. Probably not suitable for battery use but if you are on shore power or generator it would work.

Here is the formulae for single phase power like your house and the vans, watts/volts=amps
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #6

I was hoping it was some kind of oven for the propane. I have yet to find an oven that works camping. The Coleman folding thing is crap ... IMHO.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Thanks, yup 150 amps... definitely a battery killer! Thanks for the info/formula.

Salivan, good propane oven do exist. My Neighbour offered me one but it's a bit on the large size for my need. It's one of those apartment size (24" wide?). They bought it in Fiji and brought it back here with them. It's light and works great. They were taking it to go camping with their family. The thought of incorporating it in my build crossed my mind but I don't even bake at home!

I can see if they still want to sell it and send you pictures.

Cheers
Mr. D
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #8

I've tried a Sharps Induction Cooktop which we use at home and love it. It does not work with a Tripplite Inverter. The Tripplite is a modified sine wave and an induction cooktop or at least the 2 that I've tried need to operate on a true sine wave.
The other one was bought at Target, I don't remember the brand.
If anyone knows of one that will work on this type of an inverter, I would sure like to know. The only other option would to change out the inveter to a true sine wave one.
To me cooking with an induction cook top especially in a confined space is the only way to go, no open flame & no CO to worry about.
Also using one outside has it advantages. Cooking outside with a camp stove in the wind sucks. An induction cook top eliminates this problem.
Although power consumption can be 1,600 to 1,800 watts on high. the efficiency of an induction cook top will actually be less of a drain on the batteries than other electric appliances because of the overall cooking time.

Tom
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

I'm going to carry one of these in my new build. It'll be a single burner, though, because my 15A system will just divide in half if 2 burners are on. That's not enough to work either.

My decision to use an induction is based on this analysis. Please correct if I'm wrong:

Amp draw is very important to us because of sizing of fuses, breakers, and wiring. But it's only indirectly important for amount of electricity needed. The measure we typically use for battery bank draw is Amp Hours (Ah).

An induction cooks very efficiently. My experience is bacon-and-eggs in less than 10 mins; boiling water in 3-ish (depending on altitude); soup and chili in 4; pancakes in 5, depending on number. Therefore, I'm figuring on the induction being turned on 20-30 minutes the days I use it. If the induction is an 1,800W model (and it should be for greatest efficiency), that converts to 50-75 Ah per day out of my bank.

In my build, the size of my bank and my solar array, plus a 2nd dedicated alternator will give me enough Ah and plenty to spare. Your situation depends on how many Ah your bank has. If you have a couple of AGM's and ~210Ah at 50%, you're probably okay, depending on your refer draw and other needs.

FYI: my reviews research showed the best-rated ones may not be the best choice. Lots of complaints are posted on those that have a plastic rim around the glass top. Eventually, that gets melted from a hot pot or cracked. I'm going to buy one whose glass extends all the way to the edge.

JC
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

Oops! I caught an error but had already pushed the button.

I have to add 7-10% more Ah used to account for the loss coming through the 120V inverter. I still think it's doable with some common sense. For example, if bad weather is limiting my solar input to just enough to replenish what my refer and other necessities require, then I'll be dragging out my backpacking stove, instead.

IOW, I think the decision to go induction does not take propane or isobutene out of the van. I plan on carrying some as a redundant cooking system. Induction use does, however, I think allow some serious limitation of the size/number of compressed gas cylinders and canisters we have to carry.

JC