Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #1

Insulation

Starting to think more seriously about how to go about insulating the interior and I'm thinking about doing both the Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation and the sound control as a start (read good reviews on here so far). It's expensive but quality and leaves room to do a standard insulation such as wool which is mildew and fire resistant. Only read once a tiny house build used wool. Not too knowledgeable on insulation and just want to be sure I do it right the first time and don't want to worry about moisture build up when it happens.

Thoughts on this approach?

J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #2

http://www.lizardskin.com/assets/fil...ISpecSheet.pdf

What's the R value?

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
I don't see the R value listed. You saying I'd be better going a different route? How about the noise insulator they have?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #4

I realized after my last post that ceramic material is a very poor heat conductor, which is why it's used in kiln walls. Still not sure why no R-value though.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

I went to youtube to see what lizardskin insulation is, and was impress when they showed demonstrations. The only drawback I saw was that you have to spray it on so more or less the interior of your van has to be empty. Its not something where you can do one section then another section. You need to apply it all at once.

But once you do apply it and you want to add more insulation, I recommend rtech foam insulation (available at home depot for about 8 dollars for a 4x8 foot sheet). Thats what I have been using, its easy to apply, just hot glue it over the lizardskin or bare metal. rtech foam works great, never had any mildew problems in the 3 years i had it and I run a swampcooler everyday in my van. I have the front and rear of my van seperated with a sliding insulated door. Just using foam insulation, the rear of my van might be 99 degrees while the front of the van can get as high as 145 degrees.

I can park out in the hot sun close all my windows and doors and be nice and comfortable with just the swampcooler running, thats how well the foam works. The pictures show the foam insulation on the roof . a picture of my swamp cooler and also a picture of the oem insulation which provided no insulation at all.
Attached Thumbnails
rtech foam.jpg   celdek small.jpg   oem insulation a.jpg  
jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Anyone considering spray foam insulation for a van's inside needs to know the types intended for buildings are NOT advised for that use. When applied to a steel body their chemical composition has been known to promote issues with the metal. Basically the auto manufacturer's paint and electro-coatings are "attached" which allows rust to quickly form.

Worst part of that is this damage begins completely out of site of the vehicle owner until it erupts on the outside surface. At that point body work would be extensive.

Spray-in foam is very attractive since its very easy to apply. Foam planks require a lot more work with careful cutting and fitting for the best results---but that's a once-in-a-lifetime operation, once finished its good pretty much forever.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #7

Think I'm gonna grab some lizard skin and then add something else on top of it.

I found a site where some chick documented her build and has posted blog points about what she thinks since (I can get a link later if anyone is interested). She regrets using a ton of Dynamat and ??? (can't remember off the top of my head) and thinks if she does it again recommends XPS (Foamular). I looked into it and it seems kinda hard to find but looks like a good idea. Not to be confused with EPS.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #8

Check out sprinterforum for some really great insulation posts. Googl Hein 3m, he seems to be everywhere.

I just insulated my van last weekend. Going from a bare steel cargo. I used a combo of the following:

Dynamat: 25% coverage on the large roof and wall panels. I have done testing, this is truly all you need. there is no thermal advantage to dynamat.

Armaflex AP PSA neoprene in 3/4" sheets for the flat surfaces. Designed for the HVAC industry to kill condensation and thermal transfer on boilers. has R value, and sound dampening qualities, and obviously moisture barrier. Used on ceiling, window areas of walls, and floor.

3M 600L thinsulate material: 1.5" thick, excellent noise reduction, thermal qualities.
I used it in all the horrible hand cutting areas that are impossible to get to. The 3M is super easy to work with. My wife fell asleep on the roll

Reflectix: Used it for its moisture barrier properties. I sheeted the inside walls of the van in reflectix. I had a little of the cheap stuff from home depot, and some of the lobocrud high dollar stuff from an old project. when you are gluing it to a surface, there is no gain one over the other. any real thermal qualities are lost. but it makes a great vapor barrier!

Cliff notes:

3M 90 spray adhesive seems to work well for all materials listed above.

Dont use the thinsulate anywhere what will possibly have standing water (like underfloor). it soaks it like a cotton towel and doesnt dry out.

When insulating floor, space up the valleys to allow air movement. 7/16 ply cut into 2.25" strips works great.

Dont use reflectix type material on floor. there is no thermal advantage, and it will got flat form the pressure.

If the cost is concerning, think of the money youve invested in your van. depending how its insulated, it will either destroy it or improve it.

Armaflex PSA is expensive. about $40 for a 3x4. if you had to choose one surface to ise it on, Id tell you the floor. I truly cant think of a more ideal product to use there.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post

Dont use the thinsulate anywhere what will possibly have standing water (like underfloor). it soaks it like a cotton towel and doesnt dry out.
I thought one of the plusses to Thinsulate was that it doesn't absorb water? Not that I'm planning to have standing water anywhere to BE soaked up, but just curious. Sounds like you have good real-world insulating experience.

One other question is where did you buy the Armaflex? I have looked for it in the past (other project) and never saw an "easy" way to buy it (always looked wholesale/industrial, etc.).

Thanks.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #10

The armaflex isnt a point a d click purchase, but it wasnt bad. I found a local distributor and had it dropshipped. I can get you my contact if you like.

On the 3m, thats how it was sold to me as well. Bought directly from hein as he isnt too far from me. I tested a 16x16" piece by soaking it in a bucket of water and let it air dry on my deck in a 75degree day. Half the day it was in full sun. It took over 24hrs to dry out fully, and the loft was clearly diminished ie. matted down.

Maybe I should elaborate on the 3M. I purchased it based on The local distributors claims. I was very surprised to see that it sucks up water the way it does.

If it was in a closed space, it would never dry out. However in a van wall above the water line, i think its a great fit.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote