Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Kitchen Sink

Does anybody here have pictures they can post of under the kitchen sink in their Sportsmobile? Preferrably not a 50 model as I'll probably be installing one of the more standard size galleys. I'd like to know what kind of storage space/layout I have to work with under there.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

Here's what I did

Hi Trek,

I've taken some pics of my galley in my custom RB '08 4x4 SMB, "Alice." It took me months to figure out where everything would go, the measurements, etc, etc, and I'm more than pleased how it all turned out! I hope this will help you in your plans.

1. A view of the galley area across from the gaucho.

2. Left inside under the sink (sort of filled). I have the plastic plates and bowls in one of those "corner" units you can buy. Underneath, I have two plastic containers (16x 11.5") for extra "things"...they fit perfectly!

3. The right side. I have mixing bowls, two sauce pots (one inside the other), a skillet, coffee pot, etc. The front of each sliding door is 17" closed.

4. The left side, empty. There's a little container for small items, velroed to the side. That's the jack crank on the bottom.

5. This shows the Nature-pure water filter I added, attached to the side. It's only takes up about 5x6" of space. It's been great so far! The tape at the bottom was to close some small "cracks" between the cabinet and van wall, to keep out some dust.

6. Shows plumbing. To the left I hung a rack (kitchen....cooling rack). I use it mainly to put my thin chopping board on.

I hope this helps you some. I have received so much help from forum members while planning Alice, that I want to give back whatever I can. If you have any more questions or want some more pics from me, I'd be happy to respond!

Good luck! The whole process is SO exciting, but wait until you finally get behind the wheel!!

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #3

Re: Kitchen Sink

Thanks Edie! That's very helpful. Looks like you went with a more creative layout, which is always interesting. Looks very usable though. How much vertical space would you say is usable under the sink side without the water filter? Doesn't look like all the "guts" of it take up as much space as I thought. I'm sure this will be of help to others in the future.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #4

Trek, the upper right cabinet shelf space (directly under sink) is 15" high. From the floor to the bottom of the black pipe is 7", which comes out 9.5" from the back. The other pipe that was changed in order to put the water filter in is 8.5 to the floor. Of course, this would be different and higher, if you didn't have the filter. That upper right section is 13.75" deep.

The lower right bottom area is 10.75" high and 15.5 deep. The wheel well, as you can see in the picture does come out and takes some space (but there's some space above for something). There are only 8.5" from the well to the front.

All in all, there's a lot more space in the whole galley area than I anticipated. The pipes, and "guts" aren't a problem, as we can work around them pretty easily....just be creative!

To get off topic, I was just looking at my pics, and want to add that after using many of my gray cells trying to figure out a narrow towel rack, I finally found a "door pull" at Ace Hardware......it works perfectly! (Check the first pic). This may be a help to someone....or not.

Again, good luck to you!

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote