Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

L track insight

Getting a jackknife bench seat. I want to do an L track set up for all the obvious reasons. Just worried about drilling through an AC line or anything else lurking underneath the body. I am assuming all L Track is pretty much the same? Lockdowns are a matter of preference? Any helpful hints out there??

Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Garage
L track is great stuff but it’s not all the same. For seating, you want the heavy duty aircraft grade as seen here (lots of good info on this site):

https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/i...y-duty-l-track

Make sure you research the bolts needed for this level of safety. Base Fab is a great place to get the track and the proper bolts/nuts/washers, etc. :

https://base-fab.com/

If you want to have any kind of quick-release/remove capability, take a look at the Unwin slides on Base-Fab, as well as the Unwin website. I don’t know if they can be adapted to your seat.

Here’s a link to my setup. The shop dropped the gas tank and much else to get the bolts in. It’s a difficult job for the reason you stated above. The floor/L-Track install starts on post 119:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-17377-12.html

Good luck and have fun!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Great info and following up big time. Thx
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
FWIW I've used the CargoEquipmentCorp site before---bought a few things as well. They have great selections in both E-Track and L-Track hardware--well worth a looksee.

They also have the Q'Straint system---another worthy product to at least check out.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Checked it out and a very good resource!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

As you can see in the pic I have quite a bit of L-track in the back of my van. 2 pieces of advice.

1. Take the time to get under your van and measure out where you can and can't drill. For example, there are boxed braces under the body, if you drilled a hole into the center of one you would not be able to gain access to put a nut on. I used some graph paper and layed it out to scale.

2. Wrap a thick bumper of duct tape around your drill bits about 3/4" from the drill tip. It prevents the drill from blasting it's full length through and damaging something under the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002_16.jpg  
moto657 is offline   Reply With Quote