Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Microwave Problems

On our last two outings our Sanyo microwave would not work. The display would come on as if in clock setting mode but none of the buttons would work. After pressing all the buttons in a random
"WTH is going on here " fashion, it would start working. Then try it again and it would not.
When we returned from our trips I pulled it out and plugged into house current and it worked fine. Put it back in, plugged into van and it works fine.
Any suggestions?

Bob in Tucson
2003 Ford 4WD Quigley V10 RB50

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Re: Microwave Problems

Check the voltage of a 110V outlet in the van. Are you running off the inverter? Maybe the batteries are low or there is a problem with the inverter.

David
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

Microwave Problems

If it's working now, I would not worry about it. If you have a problem again in the future, it is most likely a voltage (low or high) issue. I have had this problem happen in several campers. Microwave touch screens are incredibly sensitive to voltage and I've always assumed to static electricity as well. This can be an early warning of an inverter or wiring problem, but I wouldn't worry about it if you have no other problems and it's only happened once. I have always assumed it was a problem with moving vehicles using appliances basically designed for a house (meaning no grounding rod to ground, etc.). I'm no electrician and not trying to be, though, so I could be way off. As far as modern kitchen appliances go these days though, I would say if anything works today then you are lucky.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Re: Microwave Problems

Thanks for the advice guys.

Though I know it doesn't mean much, the house battery is relatively new [replaced 2 years ago].
I'll check the the voltage at the outlet, perhaps loose wiring from all the bouncing around. I hate to think the inverter is going bad, we mainly only use it to run the microwave.

Thanks again for your replies,

Bob in Tucson
2003 Ford V10 Quigley 4WD RB50