Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #21

Follow up: The refrigerator over the year I have had it in the van has stalled 4-5 times on start up with the vans 1000w modified sine Tripp Lite inverter. Has never stalled on start up when using true sine wave shore power. So I have just replaced the Tripp Lite with a Xantrex Prowatt 1000w inverter (Amazon: $232.90). It is a very nice unit and seems to be working great. An unexpected PLUS is under no load (refrig compressor in the off cycle) it only draws 0.3 to 0.4 amps while my previous 1000w Tripp Lite drew 0.8 amps. That really stretches the length of time the refrig can run off of the the 230 Ah house batteries. 29 amp daily draw with 115 amps available in the batteries gives me 4 days! With my 200w of Renogy solar panels keeping the house batteries charged I will never run out of cold beer while dry camping. Life is good. Wish I had replaced my 10 year old Tripp Lite inverter years ago.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #22

This is a great idea I will be doing this for sure. I made a thread about this post that if it was combined with your idea would even use less power!

DIY Hybrid Fridge On the Cheap! - Into The Mystery 13

Thanks for sharing, after reading this I am going to go with a "dorm" fridge for sure not an RV fridge.
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #23

Thanks for the notes on your dorm fridge insulation and the low energy draw. Does it still work well after a couple of years have passed? Which inverter are you using now? I ask because we are planning our own build with a ProMaster and Sportsmobile penthouse. Any further words of wisdom?
Mount Branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #24

Want to copy your dorm fridge in our RV. You state "29 amp daily draw with 115 amps available in the batteries". What would you estimate the daily draw without all your insulation? Thanks for your impressive post with photos!
Mount Branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #25

Funny I was looking into doing this myself. I found some useful links on how to use a mini fridge or compact upright freezer (more insulation) that starts up the inverter on demand only when the compressor needs to run. The reddit link has simplified diagrams and parts lists and the other link is a longer more detailed thread on doing the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers...ltraefficient/

DIY: How to make your own 12V Fridge
rexracer530 is offline   Reply With Quote