Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

i called rec direct about a suburban nt16 furnance they told me that its not for van,is that just for liability.figured could mount in little cabinet,maybe mount a propane tank underneth,where does sportsmobile mount it,and how big,30lb....isnt this the safest way to go about heating,need something this weekend,i may resort to buddy heater,co2 detector and front windows open,am i going to get any sleep,or be worrying about not waking up.

zlivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #2

For something quick and painless for this weekend, you can buy a Coleman Black Cat catalytic heater. My wife and I used one for two years in her Astro Van before we bought our Sportsmobile. It is small, runs on the 1 Lb green cylinders. We just cracked a window a couple inches and it did fine. It worked fine in temps down into the low 20's. They were not very expensive and will buy you some time until you do something permanent. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #3

Mr. Heater vs. Coleman:

I think both now have models with oxygen depletion sensors. I would make sure you get one with this feature for piece of mind.

However, a heater with a ODS will not work at altitude (auto-shut-off triggers in the thinner air). I asked the mfr. (Mr. Heater) if it could be adjusted to work in the mtns, and he said no, they were prohibited from providing adjustability if they wanted to attain that indoor use certification.
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #4

got the mr heater single can,ran it for 3.5 hrs in my sunroom,just to see how it worked,burn off.and it smelled like propane,dont think ill be able to sleep in van with this thing,ill try the blackcat,if i can find it local
zlivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #5

Re: NEED HEAT,ANY IDEAS

I have used the Mr Heeater (not in the SMB) at my house at 6000' with no problem. Used in the mountains at 10,000 plus and it worked, but would go out and have to be restarted. Burns through a 1# pretty quick.
cobaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I also have a friend who uses the mr heater in a tent on as low as it can be set. It has worked well to 9000 feet.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #7

What about using an actual electric heater that plugs into the 110 outlet? Would it eat up my batteries pretty quick? Anyone tried it?
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #8

you would need shore power or a decent sized generator. your batteries would go down faster than you would ever think. not viable at all on battery power alone.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
you would need shore power or a decent sized generator. your batteries would go down faster than you would ever think. not viable at all on battery power alone.
That's what I would think, but the owner of a van I'm looking at swears he can plug in an electric space heater and it runs all night off his aux batteries...
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
That's what I would think, but the owner of a van I'm looking at swears he can plug in an electric space heater and it runs all night off his aux batteries...
L
Even on a low 600W setting, and electric heater draws 50+ amps from the batteries. For 8 hours, that will completely drain 2 4D batteries. Not many vans have that much battery. Electric heat and batteries are really not compatible.

Sounds to me like you can't trust what he says. That would make me very wary of dealing with him.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote