Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Norcold 0041 Refrigerator

Sure would appreciate any ideas about this issue.
After reading an excellent article by Jage showing how to remove the fridge I did the same. I've added insulation on the sides and bottom. The unit is a 2007 Norcold 0041. The heat exchange grill on the back of the unit presses up against the the four vertical A/C tubes at the back of the cubby hole. The unit has a small fan on top. There is no heat damage to the A/C plastic tubes.

I can't imagine that there is much air flow around the grill. Is this an issue? Does the grill need more clearance? This unit has performed OK but I'd like to reduce the cycle time, therefore the extra insulation.

Your ideas are valuable!
Thanks
Terry

soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Re: Norcold 0041 Refrigerator

Keeping the temperature of the air around the coils, to a minimum, is very important in shortening the cycle time. Therefore good air flow is important. I added a small low current fan and it made a huge difference. See http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=13&t=5364 for more info or ideas.
Steve
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Maybe pull the fridge out about 2" in the cubby and see if your cycle/cooling improves? Not permanently, just a test to see if airflow is your issue.

I keep a fan pointed into the cubby, I don't know that it helps. My next step is to replace the POS.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #4

Garage

Is this an installation problem or an inefficiency of older Norcold models? Do the compressors degrade over time?

I have a model DC0751BB (2011 SMB build) and have no issues or complaints. It has worked great in over 100f temps and to my knowledge it's installed exactly the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
My next step is to replace the POS.
Mine crapped out on me a few weeks ago. Lost food. Had to get out the old cooler. Looking at getting a TruckFridge, though they are a bit smaller.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #6

Thank you Gentlemen!

Steve & Jage I read your posts about refrigerators before posting.
Jage thank you for your idea of pulling the fridge out 2" and doing a test. That wouldn't have occurred to me. I'm going to do that.

Steve thank you for directing me to the part of your post that said the 2nd fan made an improvement. The coils on my 2007 fridge unit (1994 van) are flat across the back of the unit. Not like the ones that are in the corner. Also there is not a back to cabinet just A/C ducts up against the insulated van wall. They just shoved the fridge into the ducts. You can see the indentations in the A/C ducts. Hmmm, just gotta wonder? Oh well, if there is an improvement with the unit pulled out 2" then I'll look at a your 2nd fan idea.

Thanks guys for the great ideas!! This will help. Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote