Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

Garage
One other thing to check is that it has enough ventilation. Specs on mine call for 30 sq. inches for inlet and 30 sq. inches for the exhaust. The grill on mine was possibly overkill for the inlet but way short of area on the exhaust. I took it back to SMB North and showed them the specs and they put in some more exhaust ports. It did seem to help but it still runs more than I would like.

wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

Correct, the unit is dual voltage compressor type. So to update, I did find a problem with the 12v connections (loose) so now have solid power connections to battery and also to 120 v when plugged in. In going through things it appears the 120 v cannot be supplied by an inverter because the frequency (Hz) varies too much and can damage the unit. I am assuming that the 120 v source wiring bypasses the inverter. Just a FYI, most of you probably are well schooled in this regard, but news to me. Anyway, I currently have the unit running on 12 v and am going to monitor temperatures at the various setting points for a while because the lower end (settings 3, 2, and 1) just seem "warm." So that's my theory and will test and report back most likely followed by tests with 120 v shore power turned on. If nothing else, this stuff keeps me busy and in a way, is quite interesting. Except the part where I eat spoiled eggs. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #13

Garage
Another simple tip; keep the refrigerator full but avoid blocking vents. When you open the door cold air pours out but cold items in 'frig' stay in place. Of course with the size of these things usually they're packed pretty tight anyway.

I wonder if using magnets to attach reflectix on the area where the refrigerator is mounted when you're camped in a sunny location would help? I do put it in the sunny-side windows. That helps but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble on the outside.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderers View Post
I wonder if using magnets to attach reflectix on the area where the refrigerator is mounted when you're camped in a sunny location would help? I do put it in the sunny-side windows. That helps but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble on the outside.
That's an interesting thought, especially if the van's a dark color. I once measured a temp of 142 degrees on the inside of a cargo door on a black ship. It certainly couldn't hurt, I think I'll try that next time I'm camped in the sun.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #15

This fridge has me thinking about my fridge.
I replaced the original (2003 7.3) with a new Norcold because the original worked so well.
This new unit has been a problem from day one. On off dial is very difficult to turn on and off.
Now it will only freeze with the engine running..........if stationary for several days it does not remain cold.
Is the Isothern Cruise a drop in fit? all electric?
Very disappointed with Norcold.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
This new unit has been a problem from day one. On off dial is very difficult to turn on and off. Now it will only freeze with the engine running.
As far as I know, the only difference between engine on and off is the voltage. If your batteries are old or weak, starting the engine will raise the voltage to something the refer likes better. Have you checked the voltage getting to the refer? You also said it won't hold up for several days, depending on how you are recharging the batteries, you might be drawing more out that your putting back in.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #17

How do I check the voltage?
My issue is now I can't depend on it to chill and freeze.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
I'd start by measuring the voltage at the batteries with a volt meter. Better yet, have them load tested. How old are they?
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 AM   #19

Our Cruise 65 was pretty much a drop-in. It is a bit narrower so SMBW used another thickness of cabinet wood on each side to close the gap. Height was not an issue. It looks like the fridge was made to go there.
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Are you familiar with how to use a digital volt meter?