Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Penthouse Bed access?

Hi
We are new to this forum and are ready to purchase the Penthouse with the bed for sleeping. We have a Ford 2008 E 150 RB. We are concerned as to how easy is it to get into and outof the PH bed. We will use this as our main sleeping area as the below space will be used for other stuff (storage, passengers, and etc.)
Thanks a BUNCH!!
Ernie and Susan Newman

ernien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse Bed access?

You need to be somewhat agile. We have a Traveller and usually set up a step for easy access. Typically this is one of our plastic gear boxes which are tough enough to allow us to stand on. We use it for clothing storage so it's handy having it up front. My daughter is six and she scampers up there pretty easily, sometimes using a combination of steps including the porta potti and window frame.

Getting up there would be easier with a ladder but turning around is a little tough if you'd like to sleep with your head pointing towards the front.

Hope that helps.
Jepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

We have a EB-50 layout so it is relatively easy step from the top of the refrigerator to the bed. To step up onto the refrigerator, we first step onto the "turned around" passenger seat. We sleep with our heads toward the rear of the van so are aren't turning around getting into bed...we just crawl on our hands and knees. Coming down, we scoot forward until our bottom is at the front end of the bed, step onto the refrigerator with our left foot and aim our right foot for the top of the Porta Potty which is out at night. You can't step on the center of the lid of the Porta Potty so after replacing a broken lid, I put a large piece of non-slip tape (like you might apply to stairs to keep from slipping) on the front left corner of the lid. That not only keeps your foot from slipping if you have socks on, but is a stronger point and gives you a good aiming stop.

It probably sounds like a lot of work but it actually goes quite easily and we do it all of the time in the dark. I've heard of owners getting a short ladder and using that. If we did that, I'd convert it into a straight ladder (rather than an A-shaped ladder) and add something to hold the upper end onto the bed so that it can't slide out or sideways. But a ladder is just another thing which needs to be stored.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

I don't know how many owners actually sleep up there with two grown adults. I couldn't imagine getting up at 2am for natures call and not kneeing my wife in the side and elbowing her on the way down. It is no problem for 1 person or a couple of small kids to climb up and sleep , but 2 adults would be awfully crowded. Try it out at the SMB showroom before you purchase it.

So how many PH owners sleep 2 adults up top?
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Team

We use a conveniently located Captain's seat and then the small galley unit which we have as steps.

If I recall correctly, someone here was selling an interior PH bed ladder. I think it's already sold, but I think there was a pic or two. Try searching the Classifieds.

Herb
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepar

She sleeps upstairs, I sleep downstairs with the dog.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
..... someone here was selling an interior PH bed ladder. I think it's already sold, but I think there was a pic or two.....
That was me Herb. Got the ladder from gowesty.com for our Westy. Here are a few pics. Hope this helps.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Climbing up and down isn't that hard. I use a tiny folding plastic step and then a foot on the counter while holding the support rods for the top and I'm up. I actually back down using my foot to find the right spot on the counter by feeling for the edge of the propane stove cover in the dark. But I have to second the notion that it'd be a tight fit for two adults. Remember that while there is extra "elbow room" on the ledge, that isn't really padded. I think it's two kids, one large adult, or perhaps a couple if you're lucky enough to be lean and on the shorter side. As a fan of biscuits and gravy I do not fall in that latter category.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #9

Thanks For ALL the comments about the bed.
We would like to see the setup at SMB but we live in NM and Austin Tx is the closest at 850 miles.
I emailed them and they want us to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance and give them a $500 deposit. So that makes us committed before we have a chance to see if we like it. Sure we
could drive there and checkit out, but were hoping to schedule and appointment within a day or 2
if we like it.
Does anyone know of any in our area we could look at? Santa Fe or Albuquerque??
Thanks
Ernie Newman
ernien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Several times. Two adults up top is not a problem for us. We've done two adults and a 3yr old twice, and that was cramped. But still fun.
R