Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse Corner Brace Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
I requested them in addition to my power top. With the aluminess rack plus solar plus gear if something failed I would be crushed. I love camping in crazy winter storms. Waking up to snow on the roof weight would add up quick.
So, what do you do if you wake up with 150# of wet snow on the PH top? Wait until it melts? You can't exactly go up and clean it off, can you?

Mike
Last winter on the Tour de Utah:
draped a blue tarp over the solar panels/helo pad
with a foot of snow on the panels
-i just took the aft end ropes
-me and mrs wilson on either side
-lifted up a bit w/ broomin each side to start and pulled forward and removed all snow
-helo pad ready

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
SMB West sells braces and they are pretty slick. I like the added security in stormy weather.
Any thoughts on whether it is worth installing a brace on an electric PH, just for safety's sake?
Why not. I haven't gone so far as to install braces on my roof but in questionable weather I do carry 4 aluminum tubes with rubber end caps that I stick in place. I sleep much better.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Any thoughts on whether it is worth installing a brace on an electric PH, just for safety's sake?
Not worth it, way more likely you're going to forget the brace one time and snap it and/or damage the top vs. having the top actually collapse and kill you. Did I mention in this thread yet about how if the wires shorted and the power top powered closed on you while sleeping is what you should really be losing sleep over?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Not worth it, way more likely you're going to forget the brace one time and snap it and/or damage the top vs. having the top actually collapse and kill you. Did I mention in this thread yet about how if the wires shorted and the power top powered closed on you while sleeping is what you should really be losing sleep over?
Oh man, you're watching too much of 101 ways to die Now that's going to be in the back of my mind.

In the morning after a good snow storm, I always push up on the top when pulling the props out hopeing the top doesn't fail for some reason. Never had a problem yet but ya never know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote