Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #11

Thanks Bryan, that is a great tip! I have tightened them and it has helped the rattle. The problem is that the top does not go down in the exact same position every time so there may be a little more play in them at times. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
The problem is that the top does not go down in the exact same position every time so there may be a little more play in them at times. I'll give you suggestion a try.
Everytime I lower the top, I check outside to make sure the top in centered and not too far to one side, then I clamp it down. Someday I will make some alignment marks inside so I can tell the top is where it should be.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #13

I wanted to report back that I used 3/8" shrink wrap on all three hooks (even though only one rattled). This worked great was an incredibly inexpensive and easy solution...my favorite kind. I just removed the hooks, slid the shrink wrap over them and used a lighter to shrink them down. The rattling on the hook actually occurred on the hook and the handle, there was a small bit of play there. Thanks again for the great tip Bryanlaws.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #14

When we tightened up the J hooks indeed it seemed to cause the roof to be pulled down to an 'unhealthy' level. So much so to get rid of the rattle that the rubber gasket seal around the roof splayed out over the rain gutter on the roof even though the PH was centered.

This would point toward the fact that one can over clamp the PH.

I like the Heat-shrink solution. But as pointed out, often the rattle continues between the handle and the J-hook.

Our solution was to apply a small velcro strap that stays on the receiver plate and wraps around J-hook and handle.

This has solved the rattle. The roof sits square with or without a load and on washboard, AND the rubber gasket no longer splays out but sits nicely like it did when I first picked up the Beast.

Will
willglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by willglide
When we tightened up the J hooks indeed it seemed to cause the roof to be pulled down to an 'unhealthy' level. So much so to get rid of the rattle that the rubber gasket seal around the roof splayed out over the rain gutter on the roof even though the PH was centered.

This would point toward the fact that one can over clamp the PH.

I like the Heat-shrink solution. But as pointed out, often the rattle continues between the handle and the J-hook.

Our solution was to apply a small velcro strap that stays on the receiver plate and wraps around J-hook and handle.

This has solved the rattle. The roof sits square with or without a load and on washboard, AND the rubber gasket no longer splays out but sits nicely like it did when I first picked up the Beast.

Will
Did you try the Bungie between the two J hooks yet?
Works for me.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #16

Re: Penthouse Latch Hooks - How To Stop Rattling

To update an old thread.

I also used the heat shrink solution to quiet my noisy J hooks.
This has worked well for me.

Given the irritation I had with the noise and how quick it was to fix, I'm sorry I didn't fix it a year ago:-)

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #17

I quieted mine down using simple PVC tubing you can buy at the local hardware store. Just unscrew the hook and bring it into your local store and find the best fit. A little water helps slide the tubing over the hook and you're done. Seems to hold up pretty well
playVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #18

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! I hadn't found this thread yet.

For the short amount of time I drove mine before it went in for the rest of the conversion, the latch hook rattling was driving me crazy. Now I know what to do about it when I get the van back.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #19

I bet that rubber tool dip stuff would work too.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #20

Have never had a rattle issue. Maybe our clamps are two tight. We do use a standard clampdown sequence.

I have removed the exterior bungees and use our roof vent on high exhaust to pull the sides in when lowering the top. This method lets our manual top go up a tad more when in the open position. No side bungee load pulling the canvas in (and the top down). Also the canvas is REALLY pulled in when lowered. No issue with trapping some canvas under the top seal. This did happen a few times using the factory recommended technique.

We always do an exterior check to make sure the top is down correctly.

We latch the rear latch first. Then latch the two front latches at the same time. The latches do "snap" over and are snug (maybe someone else would call it tight).

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote