Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #1

Penthouse Latch Hooks - How To Stop Rattling

I'm guessing everyone that has a penthouse on their Sportsmobile has experienced the rattling the hooks can make when latched. Sometimes you can get the proper "pressure" to keep them from rattling, but this is only as good as the alignment of the roof. You also don't want to make them so tight as to put unnecessary pressure on the roof.

I know this can be easily solved by putting some kind of buffer between the hook, the metal connection point and the handle. I just haven't figured out anything perfect yet. What have others been using? I was thinking some kind of rubber sleeve but I'm not exactly sure where to get something like this. I do realize it will wear out over time, but it should hopefully be inexpensive enough where it doesn't matter.[/b]

Old 06-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #2

Garage
Seems to me that if your hooks are rattling, your top is not clamped down tight enough. Turn them on the threaded stud to adjust. My clamps are tight and require a forceful snap to close. There's no rattler room.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

I have to agree with Jeffery on this. Mine are quite tight and no way can they rattle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #4

Hmm, I was told not to make the clamps that tight since they put too much strain on the bolts/top. I can thread them tighter to get rid of the rattle but I don't want to do any short or long term harm.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #5

Mine were rattling as well and the J-bolts were cranked down as far as they could go. (The J-bolt was bottoming out against the cotter pin.) John K (SMB Guru) told me to cut 1/2" off the J-bolt and extend the threads. It absolutely solved the problem. Only down side was going out and buying the tap & die kit. But heck, new tools, gotta love it.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
I had the same problem eons ago and it has disappeared for me.

After adjusting the hooks for the best snug fit..

I use two bungee cords between the two hook handles. Try various strengths of bungee but not extreme short ones.

In fact I slip one of the bungee cords thru a VIVA Paper towel roll for easy access to VIVA Paper Towels.

J===O))))))===J
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #7

I guess I don't understand. The "hooks" rattle? Do you mean the brace support rods that hold the roof up rattle? I have had the support braces rattle but thought that was just the nature of the beast. I have never had the hooks themselves rattle.

Michael
ibthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

I would think you don't have then tightened enough.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #9

If you tighten them you'll notice the black plates they clip into flex slightly as they latch down. If you're so tight that the black plates stop flexing I'd imagine that is where you start to worry about damage, although it seems to me that the black plate is less sturdy than the top (given proper top washers).
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #10

I had a similar problem and SMB had warned against making them TOO tight that it cranked them down too far and stressed the system too much. On washboard roads, if you crank them down far enough that they don't rattle or have a little "play" in them I found that they are so tight that it seems "unhealthy".

What I did was I took some electrical heat-shrink tubing and slid it over the bend in the J bolt and then shrunk it down with the heat gun. Rattling problem solved and I don't have to worry about making them so tight that it bends or over stresses anything. Just my $02.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote