Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Plumbing Espar Hydronic D5

Looking for a little help and input on simple Espar Hydronic D5 plumbing to provide hot water for a sink and exterior shower only.

My questions:
1. Is it necessary to put a hot water tank into the system since the Espar D5 is able to heat water as it passes through the heater?
2. The Espar has a 1gpm pump rate while the Shurflo pump has a 2.3gpm pump rate. Will this end up pushing water through the Espar too quickly for it to heat the water?
3. Being the Espar does have a pump that circulates water when it is turned on would it be necessary to put in a water bypass circuit so water can actually circulate and get heated?
4. Will the pressure coming out of the Espar and hot water tank be enough for the shower and sink? Or, would a second pump be needed for the hot water?

This is the plumbing diagram I put together. No drains or other details are included for simplicity. Your help and wisdom are are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Espar D5 plumbing.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hot water dia.pdf (46.5 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

The D5 doesn't heat water - it heats antifreeze. That then is run through a flat plate heat exchanger, where the antifreeze heats your water. I have a D5 in my rig, but it has a storage tank/backup electric heater as well. This allows the D5 to cycle on and off, as it will far more than make enough heat for a shower. Indeed, with mine I *have* to mix cold water in or it WILL scald you.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

I understand that the Espar Hydronic is typically used as a coolant heater in conjunction with a heat exchanger to heat water. But, could it be used by itself to heat water that passes through it eliminating the Espar to heat exchanger circuit? This is what's shown in my previous diagram.

If not, I would add a very small volume of circulating water with heat exchanger as shown in the attached diagram here. This should produce hot water flowing through the heat exchanger in no time.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track? The goal is to make the hot water system simple, run off diesel and not incorporate the van's coolant system at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Espar D5 Diagram 2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B350 View Post
I understand that the Espar Hydronic is typically used as a coolant heater in conjunction with a heat exchanger to heat water. But, could it be used by itself to heat water that passes through it eliminating the Espar to heat exchanger circuit? This is what's shown in my previous diagram.

If not, I would add a very small volume of circulating water with heat exchanger as shown in the attached diagram here. This should produce hot water flowing through the heat exchanger in no time.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track? The goal is to make the hot water system simple, run off diesel and not incorporate the van's coolant system at all.
Yes, you could just run water through it.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

Something to consider: you have a very expensive piece of gear (the D5) - do you REALLY want to have campground water flowing through it? with all the minerals and crud? Or do you want to restrict the campground water to one readily replaceable item (the flat plate) and keep the rest of the pricey bits restricted to antifreeze you control.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

Garage
I would suggest calling Rixxen in Sandy Oregon. They are the people who put together the system that SMB uses and are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about what the system can and can't do. Our Esbar system leaked the first time we used it and we had to tighten approximately 15 fittings and except for re-tightening on fitting a year later, it works perfectly. The fitting have to be tightened WAY more than SMB did.
hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #7

You can't use straight water in the D5. Not only is the glycol needed for lubrication, but it also helps to prevent deposit buildups and prevent freezing. If you run straight water, you will corrode the hell out of everything, and eventually, the whole system will have to be replaced.

You don't need to hook up a D5 to the engine cooling system; that's something that's purely optional. Plus, the D5 can't make cold water to hot water in one pass. It's designed to be a loop that will take multiple passes to get hot enough.

What you're trying to do won't work.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Espar D5 Install

I went back to the drawing board and will after all tie into the van's coolant system. This will simplify the closed coolant loop for the Espar Hydronic so I don't need an expansion tank.
What I do not have though is a rear HVAC system. So, I need to tie into the van's coolant system up at the block.

Where, on a 7.3L engine block, do I place both a coolant inlet an a coolant return?

If anyone can share pictures and necessary parts I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is the new plumbing diagram. Anyone see any issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing Espar D5.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

You have to have something for expansion and some storage. If you don't the D5 will short cycle so bad that it just will not work right. Your last drawing is how I always recommend plumbing it.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote