Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #21

Re: Portable 12v or 110v AC unit

I have a unit similar to TwoGone's that I use in the house during the hottest part of the summer. It works but is very noisy and of course has to be vented to the outside.

I considered trying to use it in the van but decided against it because it was just one more thing to have to bother with, takes up valuable real estate, is only good when electricity is available, and you have to shut yourself up in the van to enjoy its benefits.

I have decided to get by with fans, electric and battery run(D-cell as I don't have a house battery). Of course I don't camp in the Mohave during the summer and I grew up in Mississippi so A/C is not as important to me. I suffer much more from lack of heat during the winter.

9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
seems this may be a great opportunity if someone can develop a small, reasonable weight, air conditioner that is portable for RV/vehicle use. I know that I would buy one!
I kind of agree but you have to figure who would need such a thing. If you think about it most folks would want to cool down the entire van to say 70 degrees after the weather tops maybe 90 degrees and higher. With the top up and all the losses, temps that range in the upper 90's or more would probably require a unit that pulls 20A vAC+ range just to drop the inside by 20*. With the exhaust issues and mounting problems coupled with a shore power requirement, I doubt there would be much of a demand.

Now IMO if you're like me and wouldn't care about the inside temps but just want cool air blowing on you as you sleep, I think that would be great. Like a fantastic fan that blows a limited amount of 60-70* air. I still think power will be the problem. The fantastic fan pulls about 3 amps on high by itself. But if somebody can build such a cooler that pulls only 10-15amps AC, using a 2000W generator might be nice...if you don't mind hearing it run all night.

I have a buddy that is an air guy and fabs stuff. He's gonna look into such a thing. At a minimum it's possible he could design something such as a window AC that can run off a 2kw generator in a more compact portable design. Who knows...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Does anyone have a recommendation on a high quality, small, plug in, air conditioner? Nothing mounted on roof, or in a window. thanks!
I have the Amcor 400watt.
Drilled a exhaust hole in the back corner for the hot air and drain.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #24

I agree that this is not needed often. My thought was if I had a portable, small unit, maybe half the size of last one in this thread, I would carry it when down south.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #25

Well, it is all about performance My little setup works really well at night, when the UV's aren't making a hot-attic effect in the van. In the daytime, in direct sunlight, in the desert, all closed up... doesn't do a thing except make a little noise. Only works at night, and then it is well worth the effort, particularly in high humidity. Glad I got it set up, and will use it a lot here in the Deep South.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #26

The latest idea I am noodling on is replacing everything under the van (condensor + fan) but working with the existing Starcool evap, but not tying into the vehicle AC.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #27

Also, I am trying to find a thread that mentioned some AC used in emergency vehicles like ambulances, but I can't find it.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #28

Try looking at http://www.sleepingwell.net/. No Idle truck solutions are becoming a big thing. The sleeping well units are by Indel B, they also appear to have a portable unit that currently is only in 24 volts, but they did mention a 12 volt solution was on the way. http://www.indelb.com/products/truck...g_well/sw_cube The artic 2000 and Plus are similar to the danhard unit, but run off of 12 volts direct. Pricing information is hard to find, they only sell through distributors so you have to track it down.

Danhard has some ambulance solutions, but they do not appear to like working with the do it your self type anymore. Do not even ask the about the Sportsmobile Danhard unit, it is not worth the aggravation.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Also, I am trying to find a thread that mentioned some AC used in emergency vehicles like ambulances, but I can't find it.
Oh nm I found it.