Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Potti Talk

I have the most basic of interior features in my van (the build design is still back burner to catching some fall trips while weather an leaves are good!) My handful of short trips already have me saying OHHH that's why everybody has [this or that] in their vans!

So the first thing I bought was a Porta potti. Is it wrong to love it? :-) I keep mine behind passenger seat at the barn door well. Noticed this morning the fill lid had splashed a little (clean) water while coming up a steep long 4x4 hill leaving a camp spot. Hmm just realized my new swivel seat base will require change it's locale.

I've noticed pictures where some have it stored in a cabinet...

Just wondering where do people situate their Porta potti for use?
Anyone using one with more of an open interior?
Do you have partition system for privacy or just shoot the breeze?

This could be a case of be-careful-what-you-wish for but Thanks!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
MSD

Garage
We put ours in the back on the drivers side. It's getting a partition for privacy. It's gonna sorta look like this when finished.
Attached Thumbnails
van toilet.jpg   toilet #2.jpg  
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Garage
Is that a mailbox next to the pot, MSD? Sit on the throne and read your mail?
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
MSD

Garage
Nope not mail put TP in it and lady products. Makes for easy draining of the toilet when we get home
Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

Ours goes in to a closet during the day. It comes out at bedtime and goes between the front seats. Window curtains provide privacy.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Good input already with no references to 'special deliveries' (till now hee hee). I do like your housing ideas for it. MSD Is that a table in front of your? Do you access from inside or outside van?
After this weeks trip NO WAY am I opening the door to get to it in the morning! Allegheny highlands = chillBrrrr!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
MSD

Garage
Do you access from inside or outside van?
After this weeks trip NO WAY am I opening the door to get to it in the morning!

We access from inside just walk to the back of the van.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

This van I'm selling has a real nice feature I haven't seen before.. The closet door opens to block the front of the van and turn the rear section into a private space.. Great 'dual use' of a door.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

Greetings All, I'll share what we call the Cosmic Commode and how it came to be.

My van interior (I have no idea what floor plan it would be) had the usual cabinet that just barely fits the toilet and then a wardrobe cabinet with a curtain rod above it. Both drove me nuts. The carpet has a lip at about the cabinet door. This meant to slide, which it didn't slide, out the toilet you had to lift the toilet up over the carpet and wobble it across the carpet and not smash your hand on the shelf above it. Not convenient. Plus the wardrobe cabinet had no shelves so gear would get piled on the bottom and have a huge wasted space above it. So to solve the wasted space problem I flipped the doors and relocated the shelf. I have added several other shelves since then. One of the things I seem to do after every trip is find new ways to use every cubic inch of space for something.

It was like this for a few years and one day, literally a day, before leaving on a big trip I devised a slide cart for the toilet. I must confess that I copied this idea from other overland vehicles that use similar toilets but in nicely finished drawers. My slide was made out of stuff laying around the garage so not really cabinetry level work but it works way easier than before. I did purchase the drawer slides from Lowes and they are the heavy duty type with the detente that holds it retracted when slid in. This is nice for times when the van is leaning to the passenger side so when you open the cabinet door it doesn't unexpectedly deploy. For added stability there are two fixed casters on the farthest point that are adjusted to roll on the carpet. The only thing is that if I was to do it again I would get everyting as close to the floor as possible. When you sit on it the seat feels a little higher than a normal toilet. I could have easily lowered everything by 1/2" but it's not that big of a deal.

As far as privacy I just close the blinds. I have added a few snaps to the ceiling just behind the front seats that I can snap the SMB windshield fabric drape to. Similar to folks that have a curtain rod there I just wanted to dual purpose the curtain I had.

Anyway, perhaps something like this could be an option for others. This was not expensive or to difficult to do. Although with the skills of some folks they could take it way to the next level.

Have big adventure
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Garage
When I bought my extended chevy van, it had an organizer sorta thingy mounted all along the back (see pictures). The porta potti that came with it fit inside the center section and when you wanted to use it, the door facing front opened up and you lifted the top off the center section. It also meant that you sat in the narrow aisle, facing directly forward with no way for any privacy. After realizing that this porta potti was waaay to small for even a long weekend of use, I decided to buy a new Thetford Curve (five gallons of poop!) I then removed the center and driver side organizer panels and placed the toilet facing the center of the van, bordering right on the rear doors. For privacy, the rear doors/windows have shades, and the closet door or slide-out pantry can completely cover the aisle for privacy. So much nicer to have a dedicated place to use as a bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140904_094029815.jpg   IMG_2861.jpg  
Attached Images

capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote