Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Propane tank: How to empty?

I'm doing some work on the underside of my van and would like to fully empty the nearly full propane tank mounted underneath. I stopped by my local propane dealer's yard and they aren't able to do it. I'd rather not just open the valve and let it evacuate into the atmosphere, and instead have it recaptured for environmental and safety reasons.

Suggestions are great. I'll admit I haven't called around anywhere else yet. Just curious what other folks have done. Will RV dealers do this?

Thanks!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

I think that some dealers will.

This brings to mind my experience with having some propane tank work done on my diesel pusher by Foretravel in Nacogdoches, Texas, many years ago. They drove it to a station on their property and burned it off.

Good luck!

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #3

My local guy says "wait here" and he walks out back, then you hear a loud hiss for awhile.....and it does take awhile. Nothing you could evacuate in to the atmosphere will hold a candle (no pun intended, please don't do that) to all of the crap big corporations and our yokel brethren have been spewing in to the atmosphere for hundreds of years.
I'd say your contribution will be a trillionth at most. Plus, it's kinda cool. I did it with a Westy tank not too long ago.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I did it with a Westy tank not too long ago.
I bought a used Westy tank a couple months ago. Assuming I empty it can I grind/cut the existing mounts off and weld new ones on? Or am I just asking to blow s*&@ up?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Propane tank: How to empty?

I’m (obviously) no expert, but my plan was to get the tank empty and then pull off the valves/gauge/etc. and blow out with compressed air to make sure all gas fumes are evacuated before doing anything with the tank. I need to sandblast and repaint my tank.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

Garage
How about a whole bunch of 1# bottles?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

One RV repair place I went to would open windows then light stove and leave it on .... slow.
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I’m (obviously) no expert, but my plan was to get the tank empty and then pull off the valves/gauge/etc. and blow out with compressed air to make sure all gas fumes are evacuated before doing anything with the tank. I need to sandblast and repaint my tank.
Good idea. After I move the mounts I need to replace a valve, sand and paint too.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
KDB

Air purge is the way to go there *when finish flushing* the tank of residual gas. Do know propane is a voc. O stands for organic if that makes anyone feel better. No flames or sparks nearby and watch out for the cold discharge of the gas.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #10

If you empty it first you won’t blow anything up. These tanks are very thick and designed to withstand impact.

Brian, I sandblasted and painted mine without even emptying it. I emptied it later to change a valve.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote