Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Propex/Heat Source propane heater problem.

I hope you can help.

I bought a used 2002 Ford EB250 Van built by SportsMobile West. The heater does not say what output heater is. It is a green box the says HEAT Source with Peopex Logo. Only other identifier is the number 181.118.

The previous owner said heater works, it doesn't. Later, he said the heater had a 2 amp fuse that kept blowing so he hard wired it (WITHOUT A FUSE!). I took the cover off today and the 3 pin connector wasn't attached. I attached it and the fan started running for a second. I turned the Thermostat off, went out and opened the propane tank, turned the thermostat on and the fan started running and the heater clicked repeatedly in a few second intervals. I assume, that meant it was trying to start. After a few attempts a yellow light began to flash and the fan shut off. Again, I assume it was not lighting, perhaps not getting propane.

Anyway, just to right of the 3 pin connector is a black linear part that has 3 inline holes, the outer 2 have metal inserts which again I assume is where the fuse was located.

This is located right in front of a large red "resistor"(?) Previous owner used a wire to "jump" b/t the 2 metal holes. Which made it work. Clearly, that is unsafe and I am wondering how to get a replacement connector and possibly the harness that goes to the fuse. I have pictures if that would help.

What I'm asking is if someone, that has this propane heater, could pull off the cover to theirs and tell me or take pics of how this should be set up properly. Hopefully, a replacement fuse and harness is available or that I can rig up.

Note: in last photo is jumper wire next to 3 pic connector.

Thanks so much!

Wandering Bob, stuck in AK!
Attached Thumbnails
HeatSource.jpeg   Thermostat.jpeg   PropexWiringFinal.jpg   PropexWiringJumperjpg.jpg  

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

You can find the operation manual online. It will indicate what the flash codes mean. That may give you a direction to go on.
Check the intake and exhaust lines for blockage. Make sure the gas regulator is good.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
You can find the operation manual online. It will indicate what the flash codes mean. That may give you a direction to go on.
Check the intake and exhaust lines for blockage. Make sure the gas regulator is good.
Thanks Buffalo.

I'm pretty sure it's the regulator. I turned the valve a few days ago when temp was in the teens. Water came out the relief valve at side of regulator. Tried another tank with no difference.

BUT, I still want to see the internal wiring harness, to see what I may need or can do. Not sure I'd feel comfortable using it the way it's rigged.

I looked on website, they make 2 different heater now and not sure which this is. Still checking.

And then there's the isolator and the CO detector and no propane sensor ... and, and, and! Sheesh.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

OK, finally found the manual on-line which shows fault codes. Appears to be Internal and I need to contact dealer. None up here, so hopefully one down south know what to do.

I found a guy in Canada that installed one that took off cover. Showed item I need, but I'm still not sure if it's the right voltage.

I guess Fords built/sold in Canada are the same as The US, so it's prolly the same.

Still hoping to find someone that has one here. But, perhaps these are at any parts store.
Attached Thumbnails
PropexFuse.jpg   PropexCircuitBoard.jpg  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

Bob: As luck would have it, I've had to replace that fuse in my propex in the past.

Reach out to Karl at Westy Ventures; He sells these and is very knowledgeable about these units.

Looking at the Westy Venture website, the green ones are model HS2800...Nice!

Westy Ventures /Â* Home

Karl sent me a fuse since I bought the unit from him, and I have since determined that Mouser sells these as well.....the question is what current value do you need.....

EDIT: It appears that the one in the your picture is a 2 amp....

..The fuse plugs right into the board...buy a spare....

Here is the Mouser page with various fuse values:

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine...d=mst+t1a+fuse

These fuses don't blow often...I shorted some wires with the power to the unit when installing/relocating the thermostat.

Can't remember the color codes off the top of my head but mine clicked and flashed an LED blink code when it wasn't getting propane..turns out my tank regulator is a little finicky....I rotated the regulator a few year ago and all has been well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Boy Wonder!

<<Bob: As luck would have it, I've had to replace that fuse in my propex in the past.>>
<<These fuses don't blow often...I shorted some wires with the power to the unit when installing/relocating the thermostat>>

The seller of my van said he had to replace the fuse repeatedly, so maybe there's a problem with installation or circuit board? Nice to actually find the fuse type. I was thinking I would have to buy some sort of inline harness or a new circuit board.

<<Reach out to Karl at Westy Ventures; He sells these and is very knowledgeable about these units.>>

When looking at the Propex website, I remember seeing that US distributer. Nice to have definitive contact info. Thanks

<<Looking at the Westy Venture website, the green ones are model HS2800...Nice!>>

I hope so. From what I see... originally, there was only one model with a green cover. I'm hoping you are right, but sure Karl can confirm.

Westy Ventures /Â* Home

Karl sent me a fuse since I bought the unit from him, and I have since determined that Mouser sells these as well.....the question is what current value do you need.....

<<EDIT: It appears that the one in the your picture is a 2 amp....>>

That is NOT from my heater, I found it by searching the Net for days. Hence, why trying to find the right fuse for my app. I'm sure Karl can help.

..The fuse plugs right into the board...buy a spare....

Here is the Mouser page with various fuse values:

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine...d=mst+t1a+fuse
<< I found a place on EBAY that sells 5 for $7. Easy to keep a few around!

<<Can't remember the color codes off the top of my head but mine clicked and flashed an LED blink code when it wasn't getting propane..turns out my tank regulator is a little finicky....I rotated the regulator a few year ago and all has been well.[/QUOTE]>>

Yeah, I saw an RV Repair vid, that said to avoid problems, replace the regulator avery 10 yrs. I'm a few years late. If mine is frozen, I prolly wont find out for 6 months! Haha! It was installed by the previous owner. Tanks above bumper outside, hole cut in rear door with 5 foot hose to heater near wheel well. Could be many things, but leaning towards regulator or hose. I'll have to take it apart.

Thanks to Buffalo's push, I was able to download and print out the manual. First code was repeated flashes, meaning contact Propex. After resetting the thermostat (as found on YouTube), it now flashes twice. Meaning there is an air flow problem. Last night we got our first snow and now raining, Guess I'll go swimming under the van in a bit. OHHH!!! To have a garage or shop!!

Haha! I have hope! Thanks for your help!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Can't remember the color codes off the top of my head but mine clicked and flashed an LED blink code when it wasn't getting propane..turns out my tank regulator is a little finicky....I rotated the regulator a few year ago and all has been well.
Well, as it turns out, it was the regulator!

The fault codes that my thermostat showed were
#1 5 flashes, meaning Call Propex
#2 2 flashes, meaning no sir flow (doesn't specify intake or exhaust)

Today, it began to rain and before sunset, the temps were in the 40's ... SOOOO, I checked the regulator again. Turned the on valve and again quite a bit of water came out the relief valve. I tapped the regulator gently and recycled on/off and few times. Then turned relief valve downward and secured. Then turned valve on, started heater and Shazam! I have heat! It worked several times without fail. BUT!!!!

I'm wondering if I have found the issue that causes the fuse to blow. Once turned the temp down on thermometer, the yellow light goes out (as it should), then green light begins to lightly flicker, then goes on and off, then off completely. IS THIS NORMAL? It kinda looks like it may have a loose connection or short. May be the cause of the fuses continuing to blow on heater.

Can anyone with this setup, run through start up and shut down, to verify?

Thanks again! Progress!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
rnj

Looks like my HS2800 which I installed awhile ago. I emailed Karl asking questions and to see which one to get based on my expected temperature use. I think they were out of stock and then he was one extended vacation so I ended up ordering mine from Van Café in California. I just looked at there website searched on Propex and it shows the HS2800. Don't know if they service or sell parts but possible another source if needed.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnj View Post
Looks like my HS2800 which I installed awhile ago. I emailed Karl asking questions and to see which one to get based on my expected temperature use. I think they were out of stock and then he was one extended vacation so I ended up ordering mine from Van Café in California. I just looked at there website searched on Propex and it shows the HS2800. Don't know if they service or sell parts but possible another source if needed.
Thanks, I'll try Karl first, but still would like to verify operation.

Appreciated!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
rnj

Just saw your post before mine, I think we were typing at the same time. I'll fire mine up tomorrow and watch the yellow green led's closely. I actually only tested it when I put it in and then fired it up again last weekend for the 2nd time and let it cycle for awhile. I didn't watch them closely but they seemed to operated like the manual said.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat surce, propane heater, propex