Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #31

I have both configurations, one sportsmobile side fill and my GTRV with an underneath fill. Both are easy to fill.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #32

Garage
Our old van had the Manchester "van style" horizontal tank, with the fill valve tilted down 45 degrees to be accessible from under the van. It also had a rock guard that hung below that. This tank has to hang lower to get access to fill, and it got scratched up and rusty from gravel. The stone guard also got bent up.

The Sportsmobile tank is the same size, but the fill valve is horizontal and is accessed through an access door on the side of the van. It has a rock guard which is small since it sits above the bottom of the rocker panel. The entire tank sits higher and it seems to get less damage from rocks etc.

We selected the SMB tank for our current van to keep the most ground clearance. Realistically there is not a huge difference, and either one works fine. They will both need to be sandblasted and repainted at some point.

On a side note the SMB hinged access cover also hides the electrical power inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
029 Small.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #33

Just reviving this thread as I am interested if Mr Anderson has had any luck in moving forward with his Propex install.
Have been reading up on everything I can get hold of as I still am up in the air on heat.
Purhased a 5kw diesel heater of Ebay (Chinese Knockoff)just to play with and it does work well,but still up in the air on installation in a gas van so still looking at a possible Propex.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #34

Yup! Im still working on this, I did end up going eith a horizontal 5 gallon manchester tank, I'm going to be mounting it between the frame rails behind the spare tire. because its buried under the chasis like that i'm guessing I'm going to need a remote fill kit as well. I'll post up some pictures of the mounted tank once i have it, I'm making a simple bolt on bracket out of 1/4" plate steel.

My goal with the propane is to also be able to run a line to my stove with as so tyats one upshot over the gas and diesel heaters, but if i was starting over i might look into a gasoline heater more for simplicity of sourcing fuel.

The heater unit itself I'm hoping will be pretty simple to install as well. I have a location picked out also under the chasis, butI'm just hella busy right now. My goal is to have it installed by the end of the month though. Ill update this thread as things progress
Mr.Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #35

Which tank?

I'd like to install the horizontal tank, an 8" would be best, and 5.9 gal is plenty. After reading this thread twice I'm still confused as to which tank (van style/SMB/Manchester/etc) would allow me to fill the tank from underneath the van, not have a lift system, and not hack a hole in the side of the van. Seem like it can be done. Other than the tank, if there is any remote fill hose, bla bla bla I'd like to know. Thanks a million.
BOZEMANGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #36

My GoWesty 8" dia van style tank is fillable from under the van without having to lower it.......although I built a fancy Up/down mechanism I've never had to use it. You need the "van style" tank with the fittings down low on the tank.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
My GoWesty 8" dia van style tank is fillable from under the van without having to lower it.......although I built a fancy Up/down mechanism I've never had to use it. You need the "van style" tank with the fittings down low on the tank.
Boywonder you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your install from the side where it is installed by chance.
I purchased the Manchester #6813 10" and it is hanging a little lower than hoped.
Haven't actually installed yet but made the brackets and it is ready if I decide to do it.Maybe it is just that I am not used to seeing something in that position.
Attached Thumbnails
DDAA09F5-4862-4D34-AEE4-5A8A5EEB8F6D_1_201_a.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Boywonder you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your install from the side where it is installed by chance.
I purchased the Manchester #6813 10" and it is hanging a little lower than hoped.
Haven't actually installed yet but made the brackets and it is ready if I decide to do it.Maybe it is just that I am not used to seeing something in that position.

It's been a few years, but I don't think the 10" would work for me. I have rear heat/AC lines along the frame on the driver's side, and the 8" dia tank fit a bit snug on the passenger side under the barn doors.

*disregard the unequal length shoulder screws in this picture; that's what I had in the parts box when developing this.....they should be the same length...

...and again.......I haven't lowered the tank to fill it since the initial fill...

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
It's been a few years, but I don't think the 10" would work for me. I have rear heat/AC lines along the frame on the driver's side, and the 8" dia tank fit a bit snug on the passenger side under the barn doors.

*disregard the unequal length shoulder screws in this picture; that's what I had in the parts box when developing this.....they should be the same length...

...and again.......I haven't lowered the tank to fill it since the initial fill...

Thanks Boywonder,I forgot there was a pic on your link earlier on this post.
I am also looking at installing the tank where you did on the passenger side.
Cheers!
Old 03-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #40

Well was able to mount my propane tank today to see if it sits in a position I am happy with.
Next step is to make a cover that will clip on to help keep a little dirt and road grime away from the valves etc.
Attached Thumbnails
4D028D94-B8BF-4EDB-9E53-9567F3AFBC78.jpg