Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Re: Propex HS2211 propane heater pictures and details

Not yet.....there are about 6 other van projects in line before this one...stay tuned......I'll be posting pics, etc in my build thread.

I'm working on my fridge/sink cabinet right now, and trying to get the 12V water heater conversion done.......

Here is my build thread:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... &start=135

The 12V water heater conversion thread is here:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #12

Bump for cold weather curiosity...
Famous Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Mockingbird View Post
Bump for cold weather curiosity...
Thanks for the reminder!

The Propex has been installed for over a year and works great....

The install starts roughly at post #237 of my build thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-24.html

After much deliberation, I ended up mounting the heater under the "chaise" portion of my rear seat/bed inside the van. There are three floor penetrations..one each for the combustion air intake and exhaust and one for the 1/4" copper propane feed line.

I mounted the thermostat at the top of the "C" pillar for a nice central location.

I've had some problems with the propex not firing up and flashing a single red light error code, which means "no propane". I've had to whack the regulator with a screwdriver handle a few times to get the propane flowing....hasn't been an issue lately.

The regulator was purchased at Gowesty.com. I'm considering picking up a regulator from Karl at westyventures.com. That's where I bought the Propex heater and he's been quite helpful with getting things sorted out. I also bought another length of stainless exhaust duct and used it for the intake since the cardboard intake duct got quite hammered by the time the installation was completed.

I've used the heater about 12-15 times or so in 30-40 deg night time temps with the penthouse top up and down. Since I don't have a propane level gauge anywhere I recently filled the tank....it took 2.1 gallons, so I'm quite happy about that. The specs list the propane flowrate in grams/hour.
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #14

Awesome, I'm thinking of getting a propex for a promaster conversion. How loud is it? I've heard mixed reviews so I considered mounting it on the roof or underneath to reduce the noise, but it would be easier if I could mount it inside.
claytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytown View Post
Awesome, I'm thinking of getting a propex for a promaster conversion. How loud is it? I've heard mixed reviews so I considered mounting it on the roof or underneath to reduce the noise, but it would be easier if I could mount it inside.
I don't think you want to mount a Propex on the roof. It's a propane appliance. They do have a model that is safe to mount underneath (outside) and they are small.

I have installed one in an EB50 under the bed and it is by far the quietest furnace I've heard. YMMV.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #16

Cool

Thanks good to know. I've heard that espar is quieter but I won't have diesel so I was thinking of a propane heater. Anyone have issues with the proper heatsource being too loud? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #17

I'm a ridiculously light sleeper and I find the Propex quiet. I'm pretty sure it could be made a little quieter by fitting an espar muffler to the exhaust, but I haven't found the need to do that.
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I'm a ridiculously light sleeper and I find the Propex quiet. I'm pretty sure it could be made a little quieter by fitting an espar muffler to the exhaust, but I haven't found the need to do that.
Oh awesome! Glad to hear it's quiet. I also didn't even know about the muffler possibility. Seems like I could just start without it and leave that as an option if ours seems too loud.

I'm all ears if you have any other advice / thoughts you'd like to share about the propex, installation, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #19

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...b50-16569.html
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytown View Post

I'm all ears if you have any other advice / thoughts you'd like to share about the propex, installation, etc.

Thanks!
Buy a metal air inlet duct (like the exhaust one).....I comes with a paper/cardboard inlet tube....mine didn't last long trying to get it through the floor, etc....
2003 Honda Element