Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #1

RB50 Couch/Bed Hinge Question?

I am wanting to do some changes to my rear couch setup. I`m currently using one of those full width tri fold couches that folds down to a bed. I`ve removed the last cushion section and we`ve always slept on it crossways in the van, I`m 5-11 and the width is just perfect for me. Problem is the misc mechanisms that allow the couch to fold flat take up a lot of valuable real estate under the couch. I`d like to custom build a couch that spans from a frame built above the wheel well area leaving the under side space largely open for storage/equip etc.
To get to my question, is there some sort of locking mechanism that locks the rear couch in an RB50 into its upright position, or is it just a matter of an overcammed hinge assembly that largely locks itself when upright? I seemed to remember that they used just an overcammed hinge.
Thinking of ordering a set from SMB if they seem suitable. a pic would be great "if allowed".
Thanks

minnow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

Re: RB50 Couch/Bed Hinge Question?

The SMB couch has no hinge mechanism. The lower cushion has heavy duty drawer slides to allow it to move, and simple rubber feet that catch on the base to keep it in position when it is a couch. The backrest is loose, but restrained by short straps with catches to hold it up. When the lower cushion is moved forward, the backrest can be placed in the resulting opening to make the rest of the bed.

Where are you located? It would be nice if you could look at an SMB with a couch/bed to see what I'm trying to describe.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

I`m located in Boise, Idaho, There are some SMB in Boise I see, although I`m unsure of the interior Floor plan & ammmeneties. There is a nice silver one that I see running around not far from my house, love to have a chat with its owner, its a 2wd voyager top with what appears to be the Camburg Engineering 8" lift kit. Looks nice, always wondered about the ride and sway of it.
I remembered seeing a couch in an unusualy "custom" equiped SMB that definitely had some sort of a cammed hinge for the couch may be an earlier/later design or possibly not a SMB stock couch.
I`d love to have a look if any of you are in the area?
minnow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

If you get a chance, stop and talk to them. I've never met an SMB owner that didn't like to talk about their van.

If you don't like to talk to people, an SMB is the wrong vehicle for you.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

Not sure if this will help you but I built my own 3 piece bed out of angle iron and square tube that sits above the wheel wells like you mentioned. SMB bed is great other than losing all of the space under it. I need the space to slide in surfboards or to completely remove the bed to haul 2 dirtbikes in the interior. I have a few pics in my gallery of the frame and the bed. I will also post a PDF showing the hinge layout if you want. Kind of like a futon 3 piece folding setup. You can also do a 2 piece conversion of my design with arms that are held in with quick release pins that are the backrest upright bed section support. I can take pics of those too if you want them.
Thanx

05Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #6

Another member has one for sale in the Classified forum:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5198

Sandi
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Sam

05:

How did you make your hinge for your seat/bed setup & how does the seat back lock in place? That looks like a pretty nice setup!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

Hi Sam,

The back seat sections are tied together with long narrow hinges (shown in blue). I created a layout drawing showing the whole setup for another van I am starting to build. These pics give most of the details but the back seat has 2 posts that support the back rest section from folding backward and they are held in place by quick disconnect pins (red circle). It is in combination with little bolts welded into my seat frame pointing up that act as locating pins to hold the seat base in place. This way the seat base holds the bottom of the back rest from sliding and the posts hold the top of the back rest from falling. It's a pretty simple setup that allows the seats to be removed completely in just a minute or two.

05Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Very nice design and write up.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Sam

Thanks for the post & drawings! That really helps to see how you constructed your couch. As I stated before, that is a really slick setup.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote