Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Garage
Removing carpets under cabinets

I was thinking of replacing my carpet that is exposed with laminate. All the carpets under the closets would stay. Every post about replacing flooring suggested removing all the cabinets and reflooring the whole van. Is there a reason to doing this?

I wanted to retain the carpets in my cabinets/closets so that all my gear doesn't bounce around a hard surface.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

It's usually done because the carpet is outdated or nasty. Also, it's impossible to get it all out without removing the cabinets. If you want to keep it in the closets/cabinets it's simple, just cut along the edges. What year is your van?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Garage
It's a 96. The carpets look OK in the cabinets. I just got them all cleaned.

I lifted the carpets and it's glued onto some carpet foam underlay, which inturn is glued onto the plywood.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If you want to keep it in the closets/cabinets it's simple, just cut along the edges.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
lugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

Subscribed!

We would love to do this too, to break up the sea of blue that is our interior, and for ease of cleaning. Thought about adding a removable/washable carpet like many of you "50" folks have but our cabinet doors already drag on the carpet in our EB10 so that's a no go.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #6

Garage
Gcvt I have a EB10 like lay out also with the carpet drag problem.

I will probably tackle the project in the next couple weeks. I have about 50 sq feet of flooring left over from a home project and did some quick measurements and need about 30 sq feet.

The thickness of the underlay under my carpet might cause some problems. I think it may require adding some shoe moulding to hide the gaps.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugee View Post
It's a 96. The carpets look OK in the cabinets. I just got them all cleaned.

I lifted the carpets and it's glued onto some carpet foam underlay, which inturn is glued onto the plywood.
Ugh. I was hoping you'd say your van was newer, and hopefully had a different flooring construction. My 95 had carpet glued to blue foam and then to the plywood and it was a mess. The foam comes up in tiny pieces. Maybe you can get yours up easily with a big scraper but it has to all come up or your new flooring won't lay right. Anyway, this is still much simpler than pulling all the cabinets and carpet.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #8

Garage
I'm going to try different solutions and scraping (mineral spirits, maybe even a belt sander). What did you end up using?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Gcvt I have a EB10 like lay out also with the carpet drag problem.

I will probably tackle the project in the next couple weeks. I have about 50 sq feet of flooring left over from a home project and did some quick measurements and need about 30 sq feet.

The thickness of the underlay under my carpet might cause some problems. I think it may require adding some shoe moulding to hide the gaps.
I look forward to seeing how your project goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Ugh. I was hoping you'd say your van was newer, and hopefully had a different flooring construction. My 95 had carpet glued to blue foam and then to the plywood and it was a mess. The foam comes up in tiny pieces. Maybe you can get yours up easily with a big scraper but it has to all come up or your new flooring won't lay right. Anyway, this is still much simpler than pulling all the cabinets and carpet.

That doesn't sound fun. Any idea how they were doing things in the 2003 era?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm going to try different solutions and scraping (mineral spirits, maybe even a belt sander). What did you end up using?

I don't recall honestly. I think I just scraped it up as best i could but I laid hard carpet again and it laid ok. A belt sander is a great idea.

Gcvt, a 2002 I worked on had the newer style carpet but still under the cabinets. I didn't pull any of it so I don't know what was underneath it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk