Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Replacement for Marine Flooring?

I purchased a used 2007 Sportsmobile Sprinter in June 2016. I strongly dislike the marine flooring. I am looking to cover the flooring but wanted to ask if anyone has done this? If you did, what did you replace it with and why.

Thanks in advance,

Etta

alaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

Garage
Etta, do you have any thoughts about what you might want to replace it with? There are numerous options:
- Just cover with carpet runners
- Replace with carpet
- Replace with sheet vinyl
- Replace with laminate
- etc.

What are you thinking might be right for your application?

Bianca
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Etta, do you have any thoughts about what you might want to replace it with? There are numerous options:
- Just cover with carpet runners
- Replace with carpet
- Replace with sheet vinyl
- Replace with laminate
- etc.

What are you thinking might be right for your application?

Bianca
Hi Bianca,

I've tried the carpet runners which were ok. I was thinking more along the lines of something with a smooth surface so sand won't get into the nooks n crannies. I spend more time by the ocean and my pup and I track in sand constantly. Sweeping a smooth surface would make it easier to keep the floor clean. I was thinking of placing laminate over the existing flooring but then there is that one piece that is raised about 2.5" wide along the width of the aisle separating the sleep area from the kitchen. I'm not sure if it serves as a cover to hide wiring or what. Add to that, the covering the side edges so it will match the final outcome.

It doesn/t help that I don't remove my shoes when entering the van. I've read a few IG accounts that have mentioned this and I should know better. I've covered the steps leading into the van & have a mat upon entering it but I still have a problem.

Etta
Old 10-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Garage
Etta, for your use case, a laminate or LVP might be a good option. Lots of folks have removed and replaced their flooring. There is no reason you can't do it. It is a question of time, skill, and money. Do you want to do the work yourself? If so, do you have applicable skills/experience? If not, you certainly can find someone to do it for you. And the raised section can be dealt with.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #5

Hey Bianca,

Thanks for the information. I have no skills with removing the current flooring so I will more than likely use laminated flooring once spring comes around. For now, I pulled the carpet runners from the garage and have them in place for the rest of winter.

E
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #6

Garage
Etta, good luck with the project. There are lots of friendly folks here who will help you as you have questions. Just in case we had a misunderstanding--in order to make the laminate work, it would be best to remove the existing flooring.

Have fun!
Ready to Rumble!