Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 PM   #11

Not sure about harness configuration on your 97 van but just for reference sake, my 2006 XL package has the power seat connector under the carpet. Had to convert

I too am vertically challenged, but the other way. 5'7" and sitting in sagging
base cloth seats gave me the little old lady feel. Not really sitting that low, but I am used to being in a more commanding seating position. Stock seat height measured from the middle of front lip of the seating surface is about 15". Power seat range is about 14-16". The difference with the power seat is that the rear of the seat base can be adjusted independently of the front whereas the manual seat is pretty level. This may give you more range. My power seat also has adjustable lumbar support.

I found my power driver seat on car-parts.com in a LKQ yard in Las Vegas. I was actually trying to Chateau Package my 2006 XL package van, and since most power E-series driver seats are in Chateau package vans, I called my local LKQ (Union City, not far from Oakland) and had them send me photos. Wound up buying power driver seat for me, 2 rear factory captains chairs for the kids and lit vanity mirror visors for the wife. (Could not get the passenger seat.) I think I spent under $450 for the bunch, $150 is just the driver seat, and no shipping from LV.

Word of advise regarding LKQ, they deal with a lot of quantity and usually for shops/commercial customers and they are not about super quality customer service. They are probably overworked, so you need to keep on them within reason. Also, they included the seat belt buckle on the drivers seat, but took off all three factory buckles from the rear captains chairs. I specifically requested they include the quick mounting plates for the rear seats, even offering to pay for removal and could not get a commitment and ultimately did not get them since it was not a "part" they have a SKU for. So be specific about what is included.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post
Not sure about harness configuration on your 97 van but just for reference sake, my 2006 XL package has the power seat connector under the carpet. Had to convert

I too am vertically challenged, but the other way. 5'7" and sitting in sagging
base cloth seats gave me the little old lady feel. Not really sitting that low, but I am used to being in a more commanding seating position. Stock seat height measured from the middle of front lip of the seating surface is about 15". Power seat range is about 14-16". The difference with the power seat is that the rear of the seat base can be adjusted independently of the front whereas the manual seat is pretty level. This may give you more range. My power seat also has adjustable lumbar support.

I found my power driver seat on car-parts.com in a LKQ yard in Las Vegas. I was actually trying to Chateau Package my 2006 XL package van, and since most power E-series driver seats are in Chateau package vans, I called my local LKQ (Union City, not far from Oakland) and had them send me photos. Wound up buying power driver seat for me, 2 rear factory captains chairs for the kids and lit vanity mirror visors for the wife. (Could not get the passenger seat.) I think I spent under $450 for the bunch, $150 is just the driver seat, and no shipping from LV.

Word of advise regarding LKQ, they deal with a lot of quantity and usually for shops/commercial customers and they are not about super quality customer service. They are probably overworked, so you need to keep on them within reason. Also, they included the seat belt buckle on the drivers seat, but took off all three factory buckles from the rear captains chairs. I specifically requested they include the quick mounting plates for the rear seats, even offering to pay for removal and could not get a commitment and ultimately did not get them since it was not a "part" they have a SKU for. So be specific about what is included.
I don't think anyone is sure about the harness configuration on my van, myself included. A very long story cut short: This cargo van Quigley was ordered up by an AC repair company that soon after went out of business in WA. It had a twin, and my uncle bought both, sold one for such a markup (More like he got a hell of a deal on both and sold one at market value) that he basically got this van for free. He passed in 2005. During the period he owned it, he put what looks like part of an old Chateau/club wagon interior into it, as well as EB Van trim pieces into an RB van (The fitment is a little weird, but it works..). What wiring this van came with from the factory, I don't know. The van he pulled stuff out of was a 2001, and for all I know he transferred over a lot of the electrical since he was in the AC/heater/refrigerator repair business.

Whether this van came with factory plugins for the seats I don't know (Wouldn't know where to look), if he re-fitted the connections into the van, or if it was absent. It does have power windows/locks, and there are pigtails in the doors for power mirrors (that I plan to install over summer).

I did see one plug coming up from under the driver and passenger seat, but I think that was more for airbag sensors or seat belt sensors.

Had a quick look on car-part. Website is friendly enough to use but seems everything is a thousand miles away. I'm sure that changes day to day as salvage vans come and go, just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and persistently searching for whatever parts I need. LKQ's website seemed less friendly since it will only search a target year rather than a range of years.

Push comes to shove I'm sure watching Craislist for econoline part-outs might not be a bad idea. Just today I saw a two week old posting of a rollover 2013 E150 in Sacramento that looked like it has a lot of parts I would want (Nice A-pillar covers, interior 2009+ door panels, nice captains chairs, etc). I'm sure there will be other good deals over summer, just hope that local part-out and wrecking yards charge reasonable rates.

Every now and then there's a really nice roll-over lariat that the seats are still good in too, but not sure how fitment is. Thinking when I'm back in CA in a month I'll just have to resort to measuring things up myself.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
I think that the upgrade to a powered seat was probably a no brainer, but was upgrading to the 2009+ seat in general worth the time and money?

I think so.....yes......I've done it twice now . Actually the first set was tan cloth that was kind of abrasive...maybe XL trim level? I much prefer the styling of the 2009+ seats and I think they still go well with the older dash and door panels.....my interior is grey...

So when a pair of Grey XLT trim velour power seats came up from another member here at a very reasonable price I couldn't help myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I'm sure finding power E-series seats anywhere is going to be hit-or-miss, did you have better luck looking at certain places more than others?

There's a scrap yard here in Belgrade that I think might have a few airport and delivery Econolines in it.... I'm hoping to get lucky and find a bunch of parts from there for a good deal. I'd like to think the bigger (E-350, E-450) airport shuttle busses have power seats in them, maybe?

Good to know the bolt patterns are the same and the hookups are simple!

Well both of mine were sourced right here on the forum...so I can't add anything here....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #14

[QUOTE=boywonder;249558]I think so.....yes......I've done it twice now . Actually the first set was tan cloth that was kind of abrasive...maybe XL trim level?

Definitely... just slightly better than base vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
So when a pair of Grey XLT trim velour power seats came up from another member here at a very reasonable price I couldn't help myself.
+1, cloth seats on XLT and Chateau trim def makes a difference. Can't speak to the leather.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is sure about the harness configuration on my van, myself included... ....During the period he owned it, he put what looks like part of an old Chateau/club wagon interior into it, as well as EB Van trim pieces into an RB van (The fitment is a little weird, but it works..). What wiring this van came with from the factory, I don't know. The van he pulled stuff out of was a 2001, and for all I know he transferred over a lot of the electrical since he was in the AC/heater/refrigerator repair business.
Good luck with that. Would not even know how to handle what sounds like a Frankenvan. May be worth full strip down to locate all the harnesses and connectors, just so you know what you are working with. One thing going for you is that Ford is slow and made few changes to the E-series vans. Then maybe you can get an idea of what year range the harnesses are from.

Quote:
Whether this van came with factory plugins for the seats I don't know (Wouldn't know where to look), if he re-fitted the connections into the van, or if it was absent. It does have power windows/locks, and there are pigtails in the doors for power mirrors (that I plan to install over summer).

I did see one plug coming up from under the driver and passenger seat, but I think that was more for airbag sensors or seat belt sensors.
Belt sensor and pretensioner, 4 wire connector if I recall correctly. If the pigtail is there, the factory location for the connector is under carpet right under the seat, just pulled it above the carpet and your ready to go. They hide it if you don't already have power seats. Should be part of the same wire harness grey or black 2 wire connector.

Good luck with the search.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #15

In my 2008 there are wires/connectors for both seat's SRS sensors and the seatbelt pyros.....in addition the power seat connector was sitting under the driver's seat carpet capped off with a dummy mating connector.

With the driver's seat out look around under the carpet....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote