Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Garage
Replacing Norcold 2.7cuft

Hi all,
I have been reading most of the refer threads out there because mine just gave up the ghost. Luckily we were in Mammoth Lakes, CA and the outside temp never got above 40. We took a tub and filled it with our perishables and covered it all with snow. Worked great!

Now I am looking to replace the fridge. I want something that will pop right into the old slot, if possible, as we love the 50 configuration and the way all the cabinets work out.

So, I am looking for a more conventional style refer.
No chest type refers, unless you are talking a drawer models. Not wild about a bigger freezer like the Norcold NR751, but that kind of thing. Open to Truckfridge, Isotherm, Norcold, whatever. What works and what won't?

We have 1 Lifeline 4D battery and solar in our 2005 Ford Van.

Who has done this?
What did you do?
Would you do it again?

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

I struggled to find a viable alternative that would fit in the same space without significant cabinet modifications. I will say, before you toss the Norcold, check the electrical connections. I used to have some weird issues (power cycling) until I found a poor crimp on a power spade. After repairing that, the Norcold worked fine.

Herb
Old 01-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
MSD

Garage
I still have my new never used Norcold N412UR that is just sitting in the basement waiting for a home. I just listed it on ebay for $1010.00 plus free shipping. It's big so you would have to modify your cabinet.

Here's the link to the old 4 sale thread - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ade-17050.html

I'll let it go for $750 to a forum member, you pay shipping. Which is $100 less than I was asking before…

Dimensions are 24 3/4 wide x 25" deep X37" Tall so not sure on fitment but you can see if it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
Hi all,
I have been reading most of the refer threads out there because mine just gave up the ghost. Luckily we were in Mammoth Lakes, CA and the outside temp never got above 40. We took a tub and filled it with our perishables and covered it all with snow. Worked great!

Now I am looking to replace the fridge. I want something that will pop right into the old slot, if possible, as we love the 50 configuration and the way all the cabinets work out.

So, I am looking for a more conventional style refer.
No chest type refers, unless you are talking a drawer models. Not wild about a bigger freezer like the Norcold NR751, but that kind of thing. Open to Truckfridge, Isotherm, Norcold, whatever. What works and what won't?

We have 1 Lifeline 4D battery and solar in our 2005 Ford Van.

Who has done this?
What did you do?
Would you do it again?
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

The smallest one TruckFridge has is the TF49, Size - H x W x D 20 ˝" h x 15" w x 18" d. It is 1.73 CF.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I struggled to find a viable alternative that would fit in the same space without significant cabinet modifications. I will say, before you toss the Norcold, check the electrical connections. I used to have some weird issues (power cycling) until I found a poor crimp on a power spade. After repairing that, the Norcold worked fine.

Herb
Thanks for the advise Herb. I am hoping to bench test it today.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

Garage
Well, the fridge is running but not cooling. There was a blade connector that seemed way too loose. But, the unit is cycling more normally now, but the internal temp is still 52 degrees after running for 3 hours. Not Good.

Checking with Truckfridge, Isotherm and others and realizing that anything but the

Norcold NR751
NR751 | Products | Thetford

or the Engel SB70F
SB70F

Require a taller opening. The Truckfride is close, and I am still talking with a tech about a few things, but it looks like it will not fit without raising everything about 1/2".

The Engel looks EXACTLY like the Norcold DC 0051 model I have. The wiring harness, the control, the vent fascia above the refer, everything looks like the older Norcold. I wonder if it is all old technology as well. Probably just Engel Branded by the same folks that made the old Norcold. At this point I am leaning toward the newer Norcold NR751, even though it uses more of the interior for a freezer that we really don't use. So that I can get newer tech than the unit that has been in this beast since 2005.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Sorry it wasn't a simple fix for you. Have you checked your voltage at the power cable?

Herb
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #8

I'm not ready to replace my Norcold yet, but a friend recommended looking at Novakool.

Maybe worth looking into if you're looking for an alternative to Norcold. Apparently the Novakools are quiet and made in usa.

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Sorry it wasn't a simple fix for you. Have you checked your voltage at the power cable?

Herb
Herb,
It was steady at the same voltage as my solar controller measured, 13.1v, when I measured it this morning.

Yeahbud,
Yes, I misread the cutout data and the Nova Kool R2600 would fit nicely.

Sure Marine in Seattle does have a great chart that gives a cutout comparison chart on their site for most built-in models.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. - Refrigeration Size Comparison
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 01-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
...Sure Marine in Seattle does have a great chart that gives a cutout comparison chart on their site for most built-in models.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. - Refrigeration Size Comparison
Outstanding reference.