Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

Re: RVIA certication/sticker

Thanks RickL.

Here's what the sportsmobile site says:

"What Is A Sportsmobile?

A Sportsmobile is a Class B motorhome or van motorhome.

To be classed as a motorhome, the Sportsmobile must include four of the following:

(s) Stove or *microwave
(s) Refrigerator
(s) Fresh water supply, sink
(s) Propane or 110V system
* Porta Potti or marine toilet
* Heating or A/C (110V)

(s) Included in Standard Equipment Package
* Additional cost option

Question... So, what are the benefits of being classified as a class B RV? Is the only benefit insurance? Lower registration costs?

Eyecre8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #12

One possible benefit in WA state is if a trooper pulls you over and finds that you are not registered correctly (e.g., registration certificate indicates van or truck vice RV), you may be ticketed.

Another possible benefit in WA state is that you can carry open bottles of alcohol inside the vehicle without getting ticketed.

Don't know why folks on-line seem to be indicating no insurance benefit, other than alternative methods for showing evidence of intent to be a low milage use vehicle for a discount.

BTW, again in WA state, I pay $117 for annual registration in my county. This is for an RV and it includes a voluntary state parks donation, plus all fees (you can find a fee breakdown on the DMV web page).
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #13

it seems even insurance companies don't have the correct definitions either. Geico, my primary automotive insurer would not insure my SMB as an RV because it didn't have a toilet - no matter how hard I pressed, even showing them photos, websites, etc, they claimed their underwriters would not touch it unless it had all three pieces; sleeping, kitchen & toilet.

Progressive on the other hand had no problem insuring it as an RV. The difference being $250/yr for an RV vs $900/6mnths as a passenger vehicle. Progressive didn't require any sort of RVIA
Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Progressive didn't require any sort of RVIA
And that seems to vary from agent to agent. The first time I called Progressive they said no problem, then the next time the Progressive agent I talked to quoted me that the RV required a plumbed in head/blackwater tank. They also could care less about the RIVA sticker. But i was also asking for purchase price replacement value...maybe they just didn't want to cover me. What good is a RV insurance policy if they only kick back 30K on a 125K vehicle? You can probably get a similar monthly policy for a passenger van with a multi car package. I stuck with Good Sam GMAC because it seems they deal with RV's on a more regular basis.
Too bad the RIVA sticker didn't have more teeth to classify our vehicles as a RV to DMV and insurance companies. To me the sticker doesn't mean much...my van is built similar to any standard trailer, 5th wheel, and lower priced motorhomes. Sure, better than some but not as good as a high end motorhome...not that I expect that. I got what I paid for and felt it was worth it IMO. If I built my own design, I'm sure the quality would be better than what I currently own but would I care about the RIVA sticker...nope.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #15

Progressive has a lift limit of 4", since the van is at least 6" it would be a problem except that's only defined for cars and trucks, not RVs. This is the result of several hours of conversation, one on one, about my insurance coverage, after discovering they like to spring these things on you at the time of a claim. I don't remember any conversation about my SMB being an RV, however I'm sure I covered it and it qualified- for Progressive, in Colorado, for my stated value policy.

In other words, you should ask your agent directly exactly what affects you.