Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Seat Belt Bolt Question

So as I am building out my interior I want to leave provisions for some shoulder belts for second row seating. My van was a cargo but has all the bolt points for the retractable roller and the top hanger. The reinforced holds are not threaded.

So I am inclined to ask if the seatbelt bolts are tread cutting or will I need to find the right tap and tap them out before installation?

As always, thank you!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
So as I am building out my interior I want to leave provisions for some shoulder belts for second row seating. My van was a cargo but has all the bolt points for the retractable roller and the top hanger. The reinforced holds are not threaded.

So I am inclined to ask if the seatbelt bolts are tread cutting or will I need to find the right tap and tap them out before installation?

As always, thank you!
I haven't looked at a cargo van specifically, but typically shoulder belt anchors have a special flanged nut spot welded into the body at the factory, behind the hole in the sheetmetal.

It's an educated guess on my part, but they may have eliminated the threaded insert on the cargo models.

The 15 passenger E350 I owned 12yrs ago had removable bench seats, the lap belt anchors were built into the bench seat frames if I remember right, the shoulder harnesses anchored up high into the pillar bodywork, with welded inserts described above.

Self-tapping isn't used for safety belts. Unless there is substantial material in which to cut threads, 1 to 1-1/2 x bolt diameter (depth) solid steel to tap into, I personally wouldn't do it.

Jeg's offers a universal kit that might work for you:

JEGS Performance Products 70019: 3-Point Seat Belt Mounting Hardware | JEGS
Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

I will have to check for that nut back there. The plates are there as well as a thick welded in sleeve or bushing that is part of the plate. My thought was that maybe the sleeve get's tapped.

I will have to take a closer look there. Hopefully they are sitting back there. I would think it strange for them not to be, but you never know with Ford.

Thanks for the response. I truly am making this up as I go along.