Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Natedlee
SMB Couch or facing dinette?

I am debating whether to buy the SMB couch or facing dinette for my EB Ford. I'm not going full SMB conversion b/c most of the van is used as wheelchair space, but would love to slowly build in functional spaces so I can take my daughter "camping." I am leaning towards dinette, but not sure how comfortable it will be for around-town regular usage most of the year.

Also, I am thinking the shorter dinette would give me some storage space in the back, but it seems like it could be too small for sleeping. Thoughts?

Anyway, does anyone have pics of the facing dinette set and also on of the full-width couch? I can't seem to find a pic of them anywhere - just drawings.

Thanks!

n8

Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

SMB Couch or facing dinette?

Our 89 RB has the rear dinette and we love it. Lots of storage under the seats. They fold down into a comfortable bed that is a little bit wider than a twin mattress. I am 5'-10" tall and just fit length wise with a pillow under my head.

The table we have has the center post that goes into the floor. It is fine for the two of us for dinner but would be a tight squeeze for four. The table is not very wide.

Took the four nephews on a hike to Niagara Falls on he Oregon coast. They used the seat belts and had a great time back there.

Will post photos tomorrow.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #3

Re: SMB Couch or facing dinette?

What about a 50 style bench where the current bench is, maybe a little down and forward. You could sleep front to back, have forward facing seating, and even use the opposite side, down the passenger side in back for a window height closet.

You can't come forward too far in bench mode as the drop floor would cause the passenger's legs to dangle- my first thought was to drop the bench and take advantage of the drop floor for the front seat height, but I realized that would steal the window away...

Or another captain's chair behind the driver on a spinner, if that leaves you enough room- then turn the back area into whatever is most convienent (e.g. inflatable mattress on the floor). The advantage of a swivel chair is you could add a portable table for cards or meals.

I'm biased to forward facing seating as far from the back as possible, simply to avoid motion sickness.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Below are photos of the dinette setup in out 89 Ford RB.

The dinette setup up for normal seating. There is 14" between the seats. Four sets of seat belts are stored in the cabinets below, two on each side. The heater and storage space is on the passenger side and the fuse panel, other electronics and storage is on the driver side under the seat.

The dinette setup for eating. The table is 18x38. This is a little tight by the time you get plates, tableware, glasses, and serving dishes on it but great when it is cold outside. The heater is right under the seat on the passenger side so your feet stay nice and warm.

Here is the unit setup for sleeping. The dinette folds out to a bed that is 48" wide and about 70" long. I just fit lengthwise if I am laying on my back. When Ann and I are both in it there is enough room to sleep apart so as we do not disturb each other.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Some pics here of different setups. One is a van with a WC lift
AR-Link

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

gaucho couch pic here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7831