Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Sound dampening material comparison

I was researching sound dampening material for my SMB and came across this website. I thought it was informative so I thought I'd share:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Products Reviewed: B-Quiet Extreme and Ultimate, Brown Bread, Cascade Audio Engineering VB2, Dynamic Control Dynamat Original and Dynamat Xtreme, Elemental Designs eDead v1 and eDead v1SE, FatMat, RAAMaudio RAAMmat BXT, Second Skin Damplifier and Damplifier Pro

It gives an overview of the following topics:

Asphalt vs. Butyl
Product Specs
Temperature Tests
Adhesion Test
Price Comparison
Conclusions

armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #2

Thanks! Great info. While he doesn't have scientific deadening results, this is an impressive collection of data. I even donated money to him! Especially interesting is the heat test info, which for those of us about to (re)insulate the doghouse, is sure to be very important.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #3

An interesting read, but it doesn't cover how well each material performed as sound deadener and thermal insulate. It merely goes to task on which material breaks down and what temperatures (500 degrees for Dynamat extreme).

It's almost an academic comparison.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #4

Yeah Buji, I agree with you. Before I read the review, I knew almost nothing about what went into a product like Dynamat. So I feel a little better educated about the composition and materials used in the manufacturing process. By the way, your rig looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final product, especially with the wrap. Did SMB install the side and rear-view cameras for you?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

Thanks!

<fingers crossed> I should be getting it back this afternoon.

Integrated Audio, the sub contractor at SMB West did the camera install. I think SMB painted the camera covers to match the van though.

I also had IA completely wrap the interior in dynamat extreme, for thermal and sound concerns. I've got some more work that I'm going to do around the firewall/doghouse when I get the van back that should also help with sound, as well as I've had S&K install a 'stealth' muffler on the van which should also reduce the noise. According to S&K it is simply amazing the difference it makes, but I'll know for sure soon.

Also, I had pillar tweeters added to my already over-kill stereo solution, and I'm very glad I did. The high frequency output of pillar tweeters coupled with the a-pillar location means I don't have to crank the stereo as loud to cover up the diesel sound. As you can tell, sound is a big issue with me

When I was looking at getting my corvette dynamatted, I actually talked to a few different installers about what product they preferred. Since the vette has a center tunnel that is right under the drivers right arm and it gets pretty warm as well, thermal and sound considerations were my goals. I kept coming to the same conclusion in my research that there were some material which was better for sound, and others for heat, but none as good for both. I ended up not dynamatting the vette for preservation reasons, but I may go back to it some day.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #6

Hmm.. A-pillar tweeters sound like a good idea! I'll have to look into that. Is there any particular brand you recommend ? All of my 6x8's are MB Quart. I plan on doing some work on the doghouse and around the firewall as well. Please let me know what you think about your muffler. Thanks! Mark
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #7

Garage
Insulating the doghouse will be high on my list of upcoming mods. Before I look too deep into materials, I figured y'all might know what the best option. If it matters it is for a V10 that the PO had a custom free-flow exhaust system. It gained an extra mpg or two but it also acquired a throatier tone that sounds great outside but I would love to block out a bit of the interior noise.
If it blocks some extra heat that would be 'cool' as well.
Thanks for the help

D
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #8

Question on Removal of Carpet / Seats / Door Sills

OK, so I ordered some material (I went for Second Skin, for whatever that's worth). Am going to insulate/deaden under the carpet, the firewall, and do the doors up right with extra insulation. May also add to my already-insulated modded doghouse, or may not.

Question: Anyone done this before and have step-by-step pics? Assuming I want to pull the airbag fuse if there is one to keep from getting whacked, but from an initial look at the plastic door-step covers, I'm not sure how to pull those and some other things up. Would prefer tips vs. breaking something...
Amsoil
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Sam

Airbag

First, if you have any concerns about setting off your airbag, contant your local dealer & ask about what you need to do to ensure that you will not set it off by accident. If you disconnect the negative battery terminal, this should ensure that you will not set off the airbag but, as I mentioned, contact your local dealer to ensure what you need to do to keep that from happening. I do know that when I installed my new radio from Crutchfield, the first thing that I was directed to do was to disconnect the negative battery terminal to keep the airbag from deploying.

Hope that helps you!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #10

Re: Airbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
If you disconnect the negative battery terminal, this should ensure that you will not set off the airbag ...

Hope that helps you!
Ahh, that's the best idea yet, although that would be disconnecting both the standard AND the house batteries!
Amsoil