Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Space behind gaucho?

Hello all,

I'm going to pick up my new 2008 RB 4x4 SMB in Fresno, at the end of this month, hopefully! As you all have experienced, the excitement is HUGE!!

It's custom inside, with a 72" gaucho, 20 gal fresh water tank, 8 gal holding tank, 2 batteries, and ? underneath. My question is (I have spent many hours planning where I'm going to put everything).....what kind of space is behind and underneath (in back of) the gaucho? From what pictures I've found, it looks like there may be about 9 to 10" of space from the tanks, etc to the side of the van. Could I put a rolled-up mattress pad there during the daytime? Any suggestions or comments would be most welcomed!

Many thanks to all of you who have posted, and are posting, for your many tips, advice, pictures, trip adventures, info, etc. It has been extremely helpful!

Happy and safe trips to you all,

Edie

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re: Space behind gaucho?

I don't have a gaucho, I have a dinette. There is a small space behind the back-pad (about 5 inches). I usually put a blanket and throw pillows there

Under my drivers side dinette, I have my 20 gas freshwater. Under the passenger there is a small space, but the wheel wells prevents any large
space.

Lastly, the dinette is very comfortable, so I'm not sure why you need a mattpad there
-The PH mattress is a little thin and a mattress topper would be nice, but not mandatory there...a thin topper might fit there on between the PH pad and roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
Hello all,

I'm going to pick up my new 2008 RB 4x4 SMB in Fresno, at the end of this month, hopefully! As you all have experienced, the excitement is HUGE!!

It's custom inside, with a 72" gaucho, 20 gal fresh water tank, 8 gal holding tank, 2 batteries, and ? underneath. My question is (I have spent many hours planning where I'm going to put everything).....what kind of space is behind and underneath (in back of) the gaucho? From what pictures I've found, it looks like there may be about 9 to 10" of space from the tanks, etc to the side of the van. Could I put a rolled-up mattress pad there during the daytime? Any suggestions or comments would be most welcomed!

Many thanks to all of you who have posted, and are posting, for your many tips, advice, pictures, trip adventures, info, etc. It has been extremely helpful!

Happy and safe trips to you all,

Edie

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your reply to my question about spaces behind the gaucho. I imagine they're about the same as the dinette. I'm glad to hear the dinette is comfortable to sleep on. I was wondering about the "crack." I also knew the PH pad is a little thin, so that's why I bought a 1 1/2" pad, to be used in either area. I was thinking of a place to store it, as it doesn't look like I'll be able to keep it up top, next to the roof. I'll just have to wait until I get the van to see if it fits up there, or maybe behind the gaucho cushion.

Thanks again for your help!

Edie
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #4

Hey Edie

I have a dinette, and once you know how to push it together right, there is barely a 'seam' in the middle to be perceived under any sheet you might have on the bed. It is a touch difficult to get a fitted sheet wrapped around the cushions though, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a travasak system instead of using typical sheets/blankets.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #5

Buji,

I have an RV superbag http://www.rvsuperbag.com/ . It is similar to the travasak. I believe the reason I went with it was because you could order higher thread count sheets (My wife’s Idea). It works great.

Eddie,
My superbag and pillows will fit behind the Gaucho. If you have your inverter under the Gaucho, you need to be careful not block the airflow in the back .

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #6

Dude, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't seen that alternative yet.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
One more thing, I hate storing stuff under my dinette. The light is poor and uncomfortable to access for me. I'll store tools, jack and stuff I don't usually access rather than blankets, clothes etc.

There is about a 1 inch gap between the PH and roof. It should be enough for a rvsuperbag/travasak(cool suggestions Buji/Greg) or a memoryfoam topper...a little compression will b needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
Hi Marty,

Thanks for your reply to my question about spaces behind the gaucho. I imagine they're about the same as the dinette. I'm glad to hear the dinette is comfortable to sleep on. I was wondering about the "crack." I also knew the PH pad is a little thin, so that's why I bought a 1 1/2" pad, to be used in either area. I was thinking of a place to store it, as it doesn't look like I'll be able to keep it up top, next to the roof. I'll just have to wait until I get the van to see if it fits up there, or maybe behind the gaucho cushion.

Thanks again for your help!

Edie

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #8

Wow! You can really learn a lot on this forum! Thanks to all of you for your info and ideas. It's SO good to know about that space behind (and above). Now I can do a little more planning!

The travasak and the superbag sound great. We bought "Burrito Bags" from LLBean several years ago (I don't know if they still have them) and they have worked out very well. They're made in one piece and have a layering system similar to those you mentioned. They're fine for summer, but I also have a down comforter, plus blankets for those colder nights in the higher elevations here in the Rockies.

Greg, I appreciate the tip about not blocking the airflow to the inverter.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edie