Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Starcool III issues

I'm gonna start a new thread here so we don't clutter up the "What did you do to your SMB today?" thread. So continuing with my thought of disconnecting the Starcool from the factory A/C...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Greg, get the van over to Alouis on McCallister. They did a great job fixing the A/C on the van achop bought. New compressor and other stuff. It has rear air as well and they made it work awesomely for a reasonable amount.
I was down there week before last for a system check but they were too busy. So now I have an appointment for this Friday. Obviously, in the mean time, I managed to get it into another shop that discovered the problem with the aux condenser. That's when the thought of disconnecting the two systems really came in to play. I've got so many other projects to throw money at that messing with this Starcool thing right now just isn't in the cards...rear springs, front hitch, inverter install, pantry rebuild, etc. I just need 'some' A/C right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Greg at least on my system, there are 2 compressors, the stock Ford one and the shorepower compressor. It's the Ford compressor that blew. Easy fix but a relief valve has to be adjusted to work with the Starcool system. I agree that the Shorepower compressor is something almost useless and I rarely use it. If that goes out I'd still like the rear A/C to work off the 12 v system while driving but I wouldn't miss that huge 110AC compressor.
Ah my bad, just assumed you were talking about the Starcool one. Yeah, so the rear compressor is necessary for both 12v and 110 operation in some. The guy that looked at my van said my whole system has a lot of rust so even if I kept the system for 12v operation only, I'm concerned I'd have to buy a new compressor as well if it's leaking.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #2

If you don't care about the rear air, I see no reason you couldn't return the system back to the stock configuration, but I'm no expert. I'm fighting with the AC on my GMC truck at the moment, and it's not even hot here (yet).
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
If you don't care about the rear air, I see no reason you couldn't return the system back to the stock configuration, but I'm no expert. I'm fighting with the AC on my GMC truck at the moment, and it's not even hot here (yet).
That's what I'm thinking Jeff. I don't mind separating the two now and having dash air only, as long as I can hook it all back up later if I sell the van or something. The guy that did look at the system said it doesn't really match the SMB schematic. I think it would be easier to cap off the lines underneath the van instead of underneath the hood, assuming I don't have to do anything with the check valves or the solenoid.

There's one line from the factory compressor to the SC condenser, one line from the blower assembly back up front, and one line from the SC compressor headed up front. Just gotta figure out if that will work. It's all just a tad confusing.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
The only time the rear A/C compressor is in use is on shore power. You can run it off an inverter but mine is only a 2000 w model and the AC compressor requires at least a 3000 watt inverter to work it while driving. But the rear Compressor also uses the Ford system when on shore power and it's not very efficient compared to the 12 volt counterpart. Not sure how each year has changed though but I think it does need those aux condensers to work just not that huge 110vAC compressor.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
The only time the rear A/C compressor is in use is on shore power. You can run it off an inverter but mine is only a 2000 w model and the AC compressor requires at least a 3000 watt inverter to work it while driving. But the rear Compressor also uses the Ford system when on shore power and it's not very efficient compared to the 12 volt counterpart. Not sure how each year has changed though but I think it does need those aux condensers to work just not that huge 110vAC compressor.
I thought the aux condenser was only used when plugged in. Does yours operate when you're not plugged in? When I was testing mine out it never came on unless I was plugged in, but it was also constantly blowing fuses so I don't know.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Anyone with a 5.4L without a Starcool have an under hood pic of the A/C area?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #7

Garage
Just in case it is helpful, here is a Dropbox link for a pdf of the Starcool III service manual. I'll post the doc to this site if anyone can tell me how to make that happen.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i63v6bq585...anual.PDF?dl=0
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
I thought the aux condenser was only used when plugged in. Does yours operate when you're not plugged in? When I was testing mine out it never came on unless I was plugged in, but it was also constantly blowing fuses so I don't know.
I'm thinking the aux condenser is always in the loop for the 12 or 110 operation but could be wrong. Is the unit damaged the one with a like 10" fan bolted to it and is located under the van behind the front driver tire? I'd think it would be easy to cut out the 110 compressor but if the other condenser is shot you might have to rip it all out. It's supposed to be about 110 degrees here today but even in the 90's I wouldn't want to rely solely on the factory air. That dog house I have is like a friggin heater.
Attached Thumbnails
sc3.jpg   sc4.jpg  

Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Just in case it is helpful, here is a Dropbox link for a pdf of the Starcool III service manual. I'll post the doc to this site if anyone can tell me how to make that happen.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i63v6bq585...anual.PDF?dl=0
IIRC It used to be listed somewhere on this site. I can read your link though and that helps. I do have the PDF file that SMB sent me.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Then there's the question of whether his runs on 120 or not.. cause some do and some don't.

Either way, Alouis will be able to properly diagnose on Friday and Greg can go from there, with more concrete info.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote