Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

Starcool iii relay box

Ok here is my question, if anyone else still has one left in their van!
Works perfectly when running on 12 volt van running.

Not so much on 120 fan works but no condenser kick on

Breaker is good thermostat is good and also tried jumping the thermostat anyways no difference.

Now I'm down to the relay box on the 120 volt condenser, rusted to all get out but finally got it open, see relay and a solenoid.
I can't read anything on either figured this thing is such a rusty mess i would replace them both.

Anyone know the relay number and or the solenoid number, figure thet are off the shelf standard.

Thanks!

Kmadden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Garage
I think you are referring to the compressor. On my rig it's under the drivers side just behind the condenser which has a 12v fan on it. This fills with debris on a regular basis and jams up.
If you don't have a Starcool III manual, search on this site. I think there are downloadable copies. I had my compressor box open a year or so ago. I don't recall the parts inside. Sportsmobile might be able to help but they kind of run from these things now. Dark and buggy here now, not going under.
To learn anything about the system I typed "Starcool" into the search function and read every thing but the member classifieds. Good luck
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...wer-15432.html
check post# 10
Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
I went through my a/c system last summer when the engine compressor failed. I have a 2006 E-350 with the Starcool III system. The relay is a Tecumseh TEC K71-14 . I replaced the solenoid with this from amazon: NTE Electronics MSC125V340 Series MSC Motor Start AC Electrolytic Capacitor, Two 0.250" Quick Connect Terminals, 340-408 µF Capacitance, 110/125V. I never did get the 110V ac compressor to work though. If you have any luck with yours let me know what you find out.
Besags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besags View Post
I went through my a/c system last summer when the engine compressor failed. I have a 2006 E-350 with the Starcool III system. The relay is a Tecumseh TEC K71-14 . I replaced the solenoid with this from amazon: NTE Electronics MSC125V340 Series MSC Motor Start AC Electrolytic Capacitor, Two 0.250" Quick Connect Terminals, 340-408 µF Capacitance, 110/125V. I never did get the 110V ac compressor to work though. If you have any luck with yours let me know what you find out.

Fantastic post...thanks. I cut and pasted that into my Starcool file.

Haven't ran mine is over two years. Might give it a go just to see if it still works. With my van it only reduces the inside temps by about 15* from the outside temps and it still draws 12v off the house system so it's not very efficient. I'd probably cut it out of the system if it failed.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks to all!

I have the original manual just doesn't have much as far as relays etc. so i appreciate it.

Gonna replace those and see what i get!

Kevin
Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Starcool iii relay box

I put in new capacitor, relays, etc., several years ago. I think I did a post somewhere with the info. I got the parts at a local United Refrigeration outlet. I also added an extra “hard start” capacitor, which I read about in some RV forums, that provides an extra boost at start up. Not sure if it helps much, but it didn’t cost much so I figured why not?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Thanks again. Looked for the relay found it also found ...

http://www.compressorsrus.com/aja242...mseh-12hp-115v

Thats what i have for the ac compressor anyone else have this?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

Garage
Be careful that might be the compressor, but if my memory serves me correct whoever designed the Starcool system welded in an additional freon return line to the compressor. Stock compressors usually have 2 lines but ours has 3 lines. So you would have to get it modified, which of course means more time and money spent.
Besags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Ah thanks for the heads up