Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Re: Starcool - should I even bother fixing it?

Thanks again, very helpful.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #12

Hi, new owner with same question. However I have a 96 with the Starcool II and no rocker switch. Is the II even less worth fixing and if so, is removal of the entire system a big job? (I don't see any reason to carry the weight and loose cabinet space for something that doesn't work.)

I see in the past receipts the truck air conditioner compressor was replaced. I imagine they blamed the Starcool and disconnected it then. But maybe you know if this is just Ford playing the blame game, or if this is often true with the Starcool II? I would hook it back up if I knew the addition of the on off rocker switch or some other upgrade would make it more reliable than it was before.

thanks
Nick, 96 ford 2wheel drive, poptop
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I'm thinking the Starcool II is the version that has no Shore power compressor and only operates while the vehicle engine is running correct?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'm thinking the Starcool II is the version that has no Shore power compressor and only operates while the vehicle engine is running correct?
Thank you for your reply. I am looking in the book and it says it does operate on shore power.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Hum...I was under the impression that of the Starcool 1, 2, & 3, one version is shore power only, one is 12vDC only and the Starcool III like I have works plugged into shore power and assists the stock ac while driving. Myself I would have never opted for the Shore power version. It seems kinda worthless. Does yours run off the vehicle when driving? If it has an AC compressor along with the 12vDC portion that shares with the Ford system, it might be an expensive fix depending what’s wrong. I'd find a good tech and have them look it over. I had a guy rebuild my lines (headers) and connections and the thing has run fantastic since. But no evaporators or compressors were damaged. Just be aware that unless you tell the service tech how much Freon is needed in there systems, places like Ford will pull out what’s in the system and put back what the Ford manual says which is way lower than what the Starcool system requires. It's possible that the system is only low. Of the problems I've had most were leaky valves, connectors and holes in lines where they rubbed and were compromised.

I'd think ripping out the Starcool system would be fairly cheap compared to having to replace compressors or evaporators but I just can't tell you for sure. I looked into going with a new Danhard and it was way out of my league.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #16

Everything is clean and new looking so visually the parts under the truck look fine. Truck has only 40,000. Two wheel drive so no rock damage underneath, rust either. My guess is previous owner took it to Ford to fix the truck compressor and they disconnected it as a matter of policy while their compressor was under warranty. The disconnected Freon lines are tied up neatly up by the radiator. I will keep trying to get estimates, but the two places so far had never seen a Starcool and said time and materials. I don't have a problem with the time and materials part, but not from someone who has never seen a Starcool.

Any places for Starcool in Reno NV? Sacramento CA would work for me. Sportsmobile in Fresno said they could not deal with it.

My Starcool II has a heat setting as well as cool setting. Can't imagine how that works.

thanks
nick

[quote="daveb"] I had a guy rebuild my lines (headers) and connections and the thing has run fantastic since. But no evaporators or compressors were damaged. Just be aware that unless you tell the service tech how much Freon is needed in there systems, places like Ford will pull out what’s in the system and put back what the Ford manual says which is way lower than what the Starcool system requires.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

The heat setting on the thermostat does nothing on mine. Not saying yours isn't hooked up to a propane heater or similar but I doubt it.

I was lucky to find a guy in the area that was a good air conditioner man; they're out there. He didn't have an issue working on it. Being the Starcool is a Danhard blast from the past and is no longer in production, SMB really couldn't deal with it. If mine ever takes a major dump, provided substitute parts can't be installed I'm SOL. Nature of the beast. I had a valve fail and SMB couldn't find the part. My mechanic found a part that would work.
I really prefer systems that are independant of each other.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #18

Quote:
I was lucky to find a guy in the area that was a good air conditioner man;
I would be happy with a reference, Turlock is a place I can drive. PM if that is better.

Just spent the evening taking apart the cabinet to get to the blower and evaporator. The fan is working and it is rattling. If I hook the Starcool back up, the fan will have to be replaced. If I don't fix it, I want the cabinet to store a swamp cooler or something else and I will remove the blower/evaporator at least.

Interesting to reverse engineer the cabinets. There was not much thought in how to access this for repairs. However I am impressed how well tied down everything is.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

I'll have to ask if he is willing to do the job. The problem I see is how long you're willing to wait for the job to be done and if he can even find major parts if there is a problem with them. You also might give Danhard a call to see what parts they still have for these systems.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
You also might give Danhard a call to see what parts they still have for these systems.
Called Danhard, they were quite dismissive. They mentioned container refrigeration was their business now and to call Sportsmobile. I will keep plugging away. Reno has many big rig repair shops who may have some leads. I got a recommendation of an A/C shop in Reno on Moana. I figure this is the time to get help before spring when everyone is in there looking for help.

I found this swamp cooler on the web: Mighty Cool http://www.swampy.net/ Anybody try one of these?