Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #11

We have an EB with walkthrough lay out. Love it. 6 foot gaucho we sleep on all winter.

Modified RB layout with open space in the back. Right now we have a metal multi shelf rack back there where backpacks, boots, gas containers, chairs, etc commonly live.

This was a test fit to see if bikes could go back there. It shows the area pretty well. Probably our favorite feature of the van.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #12

Garage
One of the coolest layout features that I've seen (and that I wish I had) is an arrangement that has an area of dedicated cabinets/shelves ***built specifically to hold/retain standardized storage bins.***

It's something I've seen on several rigs, the one that comes to mind is one that forum member BettyFord sold a year or so ago. It was an SMB RB30 buildout that looked to have a wall towards the rear of well-secured (and well-presented) rugged clear plastic storage bins. (Perhaps this is what some of you guys refer to as "Action Packers"...?)

If I've learned anything after almost five years of living with/traveling with/working on these vans, it's that the easier you can make your task of loading in/loading out (and staying organized along the way), the better.

(Also --- these vans are indeed just like your average car or truck, in that they need to go to a repair shop frequently enough....so if you can **simplify/streamline your task of getting all your personal items out of the van** before you drop it off to a shop, that's an added bonus too....)

EDIT: just found and attached the only picture I could find of the shelves in the van BettyFord sold (this picture was on the eBay listing for it....) There's a sweet organized area of bins just past the gaucho couch in the rear of the van.)

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #13

I have a question from my buddy:

Are there any options for storage under the gaucho? If so, what are the dimensions he might have to work with?

Thanks for all the input, he's greatly appreciative of everyone taking the time to help him get a feel for things.
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #14

Under the gaucho is usually the water tank, house battery and converter. Not much room if you have all that under there.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Under the gaucho is usually the water tank, house battery and converter. Not much room if you have all that under there.
But note, it does not HAVE to be where these things go. Under our couch is wide open for storage. Also, I did not explain that our couch is 5 ft long and becomes nearly 7 ft with the driver seat swiveled 90 degrees to become a bed. A 6ft couch is not necessarily an efficient use of space.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:23 AM   #16

A past issue of Overland Journal had a feature on just such a build. "Archaeologist's Backpack:" You can find it over at Expedition Portal. Referred to as "cargo plane comfort"...........
GreyTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Your rig cleans up nice, Ray!
No Kidding! ...hardly recognize it Looks Cavernous in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
....Perhaps this is what some of you guys refer to as "Action Packers"...?
Rubbermaid action packer......usually black/grey and really burly.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyTeam View Post
A past issue of Overland Journal had a feature on just such a build. "Archaeologist's Backpack:" You can find it over at Expedition Portal. Referred to as "cargo plane comfort"...........
Great article! Thanks, passed it along...
Old 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
But note, it does not HAVE to be where these things go. Under our couch is wide open for storage. Also, I did not explain that our couch is 5 ft long and becomes nearly 7 ft with the driver seat swiveled 90 degrees to become a bed. A 6ft couch is not necessarily an efficient use of space.
Hey 1der, thanks for that info. We were talking about their needs regarding the shorter vs. longer gaucho. His wife is pushing 6' so the shorter option seemed a bit confining. Didn't consider swinging the front seat around to add on the extra leg room.

They asked me to pass on a question regarding the storage capacity under the goucho: What are the approximate dimensions under there? He brings a spear gun or two down to Baja and that would be a perfect spot for gear depending on what fits.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 AM   #20

Space under the gaucho:
I am using one of the stock 2nd Row passenger van bench seats as a gaucho. The final build will change the seat supports to a welded metal frame the seat will sit on.
So , about 52” wide (could be a bit more depending on support design), 21” deep, 12” height at front of seat, 9” height at rear. Height will be dependent on rake of the support frame. Pic shows Espar heater far right, subwoofer in the middle. Silver is where the fuel filler bump is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BE4E1E7-20B0-437D-9E3D-991623F542B6.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	20349