Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #21

If Dometic/SMEV themselves dont offer parts online I would try Panther RV. They’ve been selling them a long time, much longer than the recent #vanlife craze. They were mostly catering to truck camper types before who also look for small appliances.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #22

Another vote for a portable butane stove. Allows you to cook indoors or out depending on the weather, and you gain a bit of counter space. If you want more than one burner, buy two they are cheap. Ours is 9 years old and still looks and works like brand new.
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #23

Wish I had omitted our cooktop...

We spent $130k on a new 4x4 Sprinter Sportsmobile. It includes a small microwave and a two burner induction cooktop. We love the SMB, but if we had a do over, we would have omitted the built in cooktop altogether. We bought a good quality butane burner for cooking outside, and when we do cook inside, we usually wind up setting the butane burner on top of the pretty flat-glass induction cooktop. We could have saved the expense of the built in stove top and had a larger uninterrupted countertop if we knew how easy it is to use the portable butane unit inside or out.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #24

Another vote for omitting the stove and buying a portable butane camp stove. Very flexible, cheap, allowed us to omit propane entirely from our build, and one less "integrated system" to worry about replacing when it goes bad.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #25

Here is my recent upgrade using Ikea butcher block and Dometic sink.
Attached Thumbnails
EB494CDF-6A14-4D99-AEAB-A3F38D38087F.jpg   787E3421-757D-469E-A6D4-EE1174CCBD81.jpg  
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicfernando View Post
Man, that looks great! Nice work. Someday they're gonna put an Ikea close to me......someday.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #27

Thank you! I am so pleased with the outcome. The bigger sink is so much nicer for daily use. More counter space is great too! Thanks!
2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #28

My Sportsmobile upgrade.... The only reason I replaced the stove was because the van had a propane tank factory installed - and a huge hole cut out on the side of my Sprinter.

Phase one.... I rebuilt the counter top using a stove I bought on ebay for $100
factory unit...

Phase two - after a total remodel... I hated the kitchen unit by the door. It made the van very cramped. So here I did a complete blow out!

Now a pic from my new build using a ford Transit.
I am on my second van now. For it I bought a Jetboil.

I used this too for a while.. I have it for sale $130 shipped... Its easy to get fuel at a drug store / truck stop (alcohol or methanol).

hightechcoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Man, that looks great! Nice work. Someday they're gonna put an Ikea close to me......someday.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, Eric. To date there are only 37 total IKEA stores in the USA, and they are very picky about where they locate them (has to do with distribution centers too). I worked in the IKEA US HQ for a while and had the inside look. Great resource for home builds, to be sure.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicfernando View Post
Wow, that's beautiful!
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote