Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #11

Come on Chris .... who would ever be so stupid as to rip that wire out?

For those wondering, the wire controls the seatbelt pre-tensioner and when it rips out (at least when I did it in front of Chris), it pulled the wires out from within a non-removable molded plastic "housing" (looked like a plug, but wasn't) on the pre-tensioner. I had to widdle away at the plastic to expose enough metal to solder the wires back on. It was a major PITA.

When the wire was disconnected the airbag light comes on, but everything ran fine. Not sure if it would impact the operation of the airbags though.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #12

swivel seat

Thanks for mentioning the wires for the seat belt pre-tensioner Phil and Chris, I forgot about that in my last post. If the wires are damaged, the airbag warning light comes on, and as mentioned, the system will not function properly.

There is a wire loom retaining clip on the wire harness that presses into the bottom, forward area, of the seat frame. If you pull this retainer clip out if the seat frame, you can then route the wire harness to the rear of the seat as mentioned. There is plenty of length without having to splice more wire into the harness. You still need to be careful when swiveling the seat to prevent any damage to the wires.

It's good to know that you can purchase the bases from another source, I wonder if they are still made by Kustom Fit.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #13

I installed a swivel base yesterday in the van and I am thinking of elimating the seat sensor (airbag/presure sensor) I am wondering if this is a normaly open circuit untill there is presure on the switch and then the circuit is closed. If this is the case, you could run a jumper from one wire to the other and fool the van into thinking someone is sitting in the seat all the time. Do you guys see any problems with this idea??????

FB
Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #14

I wouldn't attempt to bypass the circuit. If the resistance isn't within the parameters Ford has set, you'll compromise the entire system.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #15

If the sensor thinks someone is sitting in the seat and you hit something hard enough to trigger the airbags both will deploy. Expensive to replace. You may also cause the system to malfunction. Hello windshield and steering column! I wouldn't take a chance for the sake of a little rewiring.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #16

I know in the newer Jeep Wranglers (JK).. ive heard of people pulling the fuse for the air bag with no said problems. Just throwing that out there.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
If the sensor thinks someone is sitting in the seat and you hit something hard enough to trigger the airbags both will deploy. Expensive to replace. You may also cause the system to malfunction. Hello windshield and steering column! I wouldn't take a chance for the sake of a little rewiring.
Ya I think I could just jumper it and make it work, But I was not thinking of the expense of the air bag going off in a wreck and not needing it to deploy.......

Good call

Thanks FB
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #18

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanse ... tbases.htm

Put a swivel seat base in the passenger side today. I bought it at the link above. They aren't far from me so I picked it up. All the bolt holes lined up perfectly. I was able to use factory Ford nuts in the rear floor mounts, the Ford bolts for the front floor. Couldn't have been a better fit.

Pics to come.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #19

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #20

This might be useful airbag light/seat wires thread