Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Thinking of fixed high top

I have a 2005 EB50 with PH top. Now that the kids are grown and gone, I'm contemplating a remodel to include replacing the PH top with a fixed high top and a fixed elevated bed. While the van has worked well for us as a traveling family of 4 over the years, one of the major gripes from my wife and I have is having to make up and break down the bed every time we move somewhere. Now that it is just the two of us traveling, thinking of this remodel. I think I'd like a fixed high top too (except when I'm off in the woods). I'm sure I could find someone that would buy my PH top.

Having said that, I'm looking for interior pictures of vans with fixed high tops and fixed elevated beds and any "words of wisdom" on this configuration.

Thanks!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #2

I suppose I'll be the first to ask.. how much would you want for the penthouse top? I have a rb penthouse but an eb van, the extra length would be nice.
QuadsBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsBC View Post
I suppose I'll be the first to ask.. how much would you want for the penthouse top? I have a rb penthouse but an eb van, the extra length would be nice.
Actually, you are the second to ask. You have to be quick around here.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet or researched what it is worth (or not even positive I'm going to make the switch yet). I'm just trying to figure out if it is a direction I want to go or not. I like some aspects of going to a fixed high top yet like a lot of things about having the PH top.

I'll start a list of people interested in my top though if I decide to make the switch.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

I'm on a similar path Phil. After having had a pop top I'm now really looking seriously at a 20" or 24" hard top. I've looked through galleries on here and found a few hard top ones that have helped my decision. Blackeye, BVerhulst and Pschitt to name a few.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
I'm on a similar path Phil. After having had a pop top I'm now really looking seriously at a 20" or 24" hard top. I've looked through galleries on here and found a few hard top ones that have helped my decision. Blackeye, BVerhulst and Pschitt to name a few.
I like the old Adventure Wagen style, but can't seem to get it any longer (Jimmy Buffet got the last of them made as far as I can tell). Someone turned me on to Tufport (28" Grandsport top) which has a similar style that I like. A little lower in the front and higher in the back where I want a fixed elevated bed.
Attached Thumbnails
TUF-Van_Conversion2016-Web_LR -1.jpg   TUF-Van_Conversion2016-Web_LR.jpg  

Old 01-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I like the old Adventure Wagen style, but can't seem to get it any longer (Jimmy Buffet got the last of them made as far as I can tell). Someone turned me on to Tufport (28" Grandsport top) which has a similar style that I like. A little lower in the front and higher in the back where I want a fixed elevated bed.
I am one of those who made the switch, in the I past had an older high top, thought i wanted a pop top and so i bought a SMB pop top, it wasn't for me and I am now currently doing a cruiser/super camper high top. There's a number of pop top vs. high top threads that point out pros and cons which im sure you've read already. It comes down to (like everything) personal preference and use. I'm super excited for it!
I to really wanted the adventure wagon top, the molds for this top were given to SMB, when i contacted SMB to see if they were willing to do a small run of them they said no way. Sad!
I might have done that tufport if i had known about them before hand, especially as they are fairly local to me, much more so than Fiberine.
I really like the reverse flange of the fiberine for mounting. Im still in process and currently having a roof rack built, soon enough she'll come together.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
These are all gorgeous rigs that i've admired, DesertSMB also has sweet rig. Also Russell Cody, a bunch of pics of his rig can be found here. Cody's Photography Travels - Photography Portfolio - Sportsmobile Travels
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I am one of those who made the switch, in the I past had an older high top, thought i wanted a pop top and so i bought a SMB pop top, it wasn't for me and I am now currently doing a cruiser/super camper high top. There's a number of pop top vs. high top threads that point out pros and cons which im sure you've read already. It comes down to (like everything) personal preference and use. I'm super excited for it!
I to really wanted the adventure wagon top, the molds for this top were given to SMB, when i contacted SMB to see if they were willing to do a small run of them they said no way. Sad!
I might have done that tufport if i had known about them before hand, especially as they are fairly local to me, much more so than Fiberine.
I really like the reverse flange of the fiberine for mounting. Im still in process and currently having a roof rack built, soon enough she'll come together.
I think the only thing holding me back is overall height when is 4wheeling in the woods. Thinking if I go fixed top route that I'd want to have a "tree slider" rack fabricated (you know, just to get as much weight up high as possible!).

Would be interested to see photos of yours come together.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I want simplicity, security, better temp management, etc. I think about the only thing I would miss is laying in the pop top by a mountain lake/river with the windows all zipped open. You can't replace that with anything.

PJPVI - I think you could easily get enough from your pop top to buy a fixed top from MSD and maybe even have it installed. You'll probably want a cabinet remodel, at least somewhat, but that would be about it. Pop tops are in demand, you wouldn't have any trouble at all selling.

As for the bed level I recommend going not much higher than the typical '50' bench height, so you can sit comfortably on the bed to dress, put on shoes, do things at the counter, etc. without your head hitting the roof.

When you get ready to do that interior send 'er on over to me in Tennessee!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I couldn't agree more. I want simplicity, security, better temp management, etc. I think about the only thing I would miss is laying in the pop top by a mountain lake/river with the windows all zipped open. You can't replace that with anything.

PJPVI - I think you could easily get enough from your pop top to buy a fixed top from MSD and maybe even have it installed. You'll probably want a cabinet remodel, at least somewhat, but that would be about it. Pop tops are in demand, you wouldn't have any trouble at all selling.

As for the bed level I recommend going not much higher than the typical '50' bench height, so you can sit comfortably on the bed to dress, put on shoes, do things at the counter, etc. without your head hitting the roof.

When you get ready to do that interior send 'er on over to me in Tennessee!

I'm thinking of a near total interior remodel. The EB50 has worked well for us, but honestly have never liked the side cabinets in the back (access and configuration). Having just the two of us traveling vs a family of 4 opens up a lot of options on remodeling.