Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #21

I contacted Truma to see about price and availability. They didn't give me a price, and said they will not be available to the aftermarket, but that my builder, Van Specialties, could contact them and see about getting certified to use Truma. I contacted VS, who seemed unenthused and pushed me toward the espar d-5. There will be more discussion with VS, as I'm not planning on spending Espar $.

WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #22

Visited the local RV show today and noted that Coachmen now includes the Truma Combi standard on all their Sprinter based Galleria Class B vans. And the Cricket popup adventure trailer from Taxa Outdoors also features the Combi. (BTW, that Cricket popup trailer is one impressively engineered little unit!).

The factory rep mentioned the Truma Combi OEM cost was about $1500. That's for the Truma Combi Eco 4 unit only, and does not include ancillary equipment costs or installation. But it does provide a rough equipment cost comparison versus the Espar D4 for example.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #23

I'm seriously in love with my Espar D4...
Worth every penny.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #24
evy

Would anyone consider buying a unit from a European website and having it shipped by a friend, and installing it yourself?

They seem to be available to purchase on online European RV parts store
Truma Combi 4E Water/Space Heater

Would have to convert 240v to 120v... anything else?

I thought they were instant water heater? why is there a tank capacity? 2.64 gallons (10 liters)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #25

I'm interested to know the answer as well. I'm at the point in my build that I need to decide what route to go for heat and hot water. A Truma Combi Eco appears to be a good choice but I can't find a dealer anywhere.
I think it has a small tank that continues to heat once in use, similar to an on demand without fluctuation.

EDIT to add*
Just had a call back from Truma USA and they said that they don't sell to the public or have dealers. They only sell to new RV manufacturers for install. Bummer.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #26

I'm running into the same problem here in Canada in the course of planning my travel trailer self-build.

The Truma website list a few Combi dealers in Quebec. I called one of them and they informed me they can't sell me the unit itself as per their sales agreement with Truma. Only OEM manufacturers may purchase it and they can only sell some replacement parts.

We appear to have such a hostile sales practice here in North America due to the OEMs wanting 'exclusive' distribution rights to certain products. The choices, if you aren't already dissuaded and salty about Truma engaging in the practice, are to go through the OEMs or shop in another region.

Winnebago is one of these exclusive rights holders, so you have the option of ordering it as a Winnebago part. This carries quite a cost premium. In the online overseas shops, the unit cost is about $2,200 CDN. As a Winnebago part the price balloons to $3,700 CDN.

This leaves the overseas shops. Unfortunately that also adds the work of having to adapt the metric plumbing fittings and maybe stepping up the voltage on the electric heater (though if we're lucky there's a chance that the 240V model has the two elements wired in series, leaving the possibility to rewire in 120V parallel to yield the same output).

Import authority wise, the CBSA informs me that the import of a gas appliance from Europe into Canada is allowed for personal use, but is subject to an 8% tariff.

I came across a European eBay seller who's shipping to North America but also with a price premium, bringing things to $3,400.

The UK seems to have a thriving DIY culture and so there's many UK retailers selling this for the $2,200 ballpark I mentioned. Most however won't ship outside of the UK. The direction I'm leaning is to use a package forwarding service based in the UK to forward the unit here to Canada. The downside there is that there's a double dip in tax, as the UK retailer is shipping within the UK, I will be paying the UK VAT and then paying the local tax and tariff. The forwarding cost based on the box weight and dimensions adds about 100 GBP.

Despite all those ridiculous hoops, it is still the path of least resistance at the moment.
thebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobo View Post
I'm running into the same problem here in Canada in the course of planning my travel trailer self-build.
Hey "thebobo" PM sent
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #28

anyone have a Truma Combi and is using it to use Propane to heat air and water?

and

any info about the "Plus" version that can be plugged into 120v when you have shore power?

Not interested in an Espar unit. Long story. Dont ask.

thanks

J
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #29

The Truma sounds nice, but besides the no aftermarket sales issue, they don't offer a diesel version. I don't want to have a propane tank, so it looks like my only option is Espar.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #30

Ran into a sportsmobile owner at a local (Seattle) trailhead last week who has a Truma (in a 2014 E Series). Installed by Sportsmobile, he said it was the first one done on a customer vehicle and was pleased with its performance.

My transit with Sportsmobile top was built out by Van Specialties, who had no interest in looking into Truma. Their response when I asked about it was essentially 'we use espar'. Which has worked out well, but I'd have been happier with Truma pricing.
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote