Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #31

These now readily appear available on the open North American market, at quite the reasonable rate:
https://www.trumaheaters.com

cobratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobratom View Post
These now readily appear available on the open North American market, at quite the reasonable rate:
https://www.trumaheaters.com
Whoa! I just noticed the 12VDC A/C compressor option.

https://trumaheaters.com/collections...sor-7500btu-hr

That could be a game-changer for me, despite the fact I really, really didn't want to add a propane system into my build.

edit: Hmm... it looks like they are selling these, but purely as compressor only. Not as an A/C add-on to a Truma system. So one will need to provide the additional evaporator and condenser components. Still, the compressor is most of the battle if trying to get A/C into a van build and have it run on batteries rather than needing a generator or shore power.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Whoa! I just noticed the 12VDC A/C compressor option.

https://trumaheaters.com/collections...sor-7500btu-hr

That could be a game-changer for me, despite the fact I really, really didn't want to add a propane system into my build.

edit: Hmm... it looks like they are selling these, but purely as compressor only. Not as an A/C add-on to a Truma system. So one will need to provide the additional evaporator and condenser components. Still, the compressor is most of the battle if trying to get A/C into a van build and have it run on batteries rather than needing a generator or shore power.
That is 100% correct. Yes. the compressor is unrelated to the Truma, but it is the combination that was used on the Hymer vans and some Roadtrek vans.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #34

It's definitely something to think about. My van already has a rear A/C evaporator assembly and associated ductwork. So divorcing it from the engine system would just mean adding a compressor, condenser and separator and then swapping the lines over after cleaning out all of the old R12 (the van is a '92, so pre-R134a). Maybe an expansion valve, but I don't think so (usually close to the evap assembly).

What would REALLY be cool would be to figure out some sort of 3-way valve on the liquid and vapor lines to allow for switching between the engine system and a 12V system. But I'm not sure such valves exist.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
It's definitely something to think about. My van already has a rear A/C evaporator assembly and associated ductwork. So divorcing it from the engine system would just mean adding a compressor, condenser and separator and then swapping the lines over after cleaning out all of the old R12 (the van is a '92, so pre-R134a). Maybe an expansion valve, but I don't think so (usually close to the evap assembly).

What would REALLY be cool would be to figure out some sort of 3-way valve on the liquid and vapor lines to allow for switching between the engine system and a 12V system. But I'm not sure such valves exist.
Such a system could exist by using Y valves and electric shut offs on the low pressure (suction) side of the system.
This is how Roadtreks 30,000BTU's undermount system operates with two compressors. Compressor 1 has a shut off valve and both are Y'd into the system.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #36

Right after I posted that, I went off looking for high-pressure motor-actuated valves. Something to ponder... if my van-plan isn't complicated enough already...