Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Wall Panels...

Time to build my wall panels! I think I will use ¼ inch black Marine Starboard (similar to cutting board plastic). It comes in 5x8 sheets.

At ~$100 a sheet I do not want to make any mistakes…
Does anyone have experience building templates? Curious as to how you did it / what you used?

Thanks,
Taylor

taylorvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

Re: Wall Panels...

Been awhile since I purchased any Starboard but FWIW other companies make the exact same product in 4 X 8 sheets at about 2/3 the cost of starboard.
McZippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #3

I have used regular cardboard, as in the corrugated stuff used for boxes. Bike shops have big ones as do appliance places. You can use masking tape and small pieces to remake an edge if you cut too far.
Heavy paper is ok, tape it up and you can use charcoal or chalk to etch the edge you want to use as a cut line. Easiest way to transfer the template to your wall material if you use paper is to hold down the edge and spray paint along the edges. It can be hard to trace a paper edge...

If the wall is heavily curved it might be better to use luann or similar so the template has about the same resistance to bending as your wall material.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Why starboard? too thick and rigid, use pvc or fiberglass bathroom panels from HD, if want more thickness double up. Will cost a fraction of starboard and easier to work with around curves.

1/8 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel
Model # 63003
Store SKU # 179646

4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board
Model # MFTF12IXA480009600
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

I used the 1/4 rtech foam panel from home depot cost 7.00 for a 4x8 feet board. One side is reflective tape the other side is foam. you can cut it with scissors and install it with duct tape, gorilla duct tape works the best and is suppose to hold things together for years. It took me 4 of these panels and cost was less than 30.00 for the foam to install in my van.
I put this foam on the sides and roof and even made a divider foam door separating front driver compartment with rear of my van.
I use the foam for heat purposes, and it does work. Front of the van can be 110 degrees, the rear of the van will be 90 degrees.
And you can use the sticky decoration film that's used on drawers etc to cover the foam. I got white on the roof and wood paneling design on the sides.
As far as installing you can freehand the cuts and then fill in the spaces that need foam and duct tape as you go along. You can be as neat and precise as you want. I wasn't that neat but it turn out pretty good and finish it in less than a week of doing one section every night.
Foam is easy to work with, the thicker foam you can cut with a hacksaw blade with good precision.
jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

Corplast might be what you want.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/48-in-x-96-i ... eIC_cu9KSM

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Good idea using corplast as template and I second using the fiberglass product from HD. This stuff is resistant, light, flexible so you can curve it at the top and cheaper than Seaboard. The only plus with Seaboard is that it can be structural unlike the fiberglass product.

There are other place where it can be found for cheaper than HomeDepot and in other colors as well (HD only has white).

Good luck!
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Team -

Thanks for the input.

I am going with the 1/4 starboard as planned.

While I appreciate the suggestions on the other 4x8 material, 4ft isn't tall enough to get the complete coverage I am looking for. The starboard I purchased comes in 54x96 allowing for top to bottom coverage without a horizontal seam. I looked into FRP and its really shiny even in black. A better 1/8 material option is ABS, but again only available in 4x8.

Hopefully finding the time to install the Mac's Versa track for my seats and accessories this weekend. Then I will cut the wall panels to fit.

I'll be sure to post pics when complete.

-Taylor
taylorvon is offline   Reply With Quote