Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Water heater wows

Hi all i am interested in becoming part of the family and thinking of purchasing a 2002 RB50 7.3 L diesel Quigly conversion 86K milage. The current owner wants 62K which I feel is way to steep with the water unable to be used and the heat is also not working needs all fluids changed, Ft window gasket replaced, and new rubber is in the near future. What do you all think is a fare price??

Now to the water system is a interestedly water heater it has a 110 vt 2.5 gal tank which is cracked and pissing water. Have any of you seen this setup?

Does anyone know what it takes or tricks to remove the cabinetry the tank is located directly below the sink?

Now come the fun part what to replace this thing with? Any ideas? on demand electric?? you wisdom and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The girls are hoping for a navel shower.

Chris Bend OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

Garage
It's high, I bought my fully loaded 02 7.3 Quigley EB51 for 52k 2 yrs ago. Mint condition, extremely well maintained with zero issues and less miles. Is it the one back east? IMO theyre smoking crack at 62k especially with the Quigley platform which will likely need new arms and a RIP kit to make it safe and road worthy... 45-50k tops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

Re Water htr - on demand electric?? Need a generator or shore power to run that. Not happening on batteries.

I am looking to source a 2.5 gal stainless tank water heater. Found a one gallon unit but not 2 or 2.5, yet.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

thanks that was what I was also thinking always feel better getting others advice.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bend OR View Post
Now to the water system is a interestedly water heater it has a 110 vt 2.5 gal tank which is cracked and pissing water. Have any of you seen this setup?

Does anyone know what it takes or tricks to remove the cabinetry the tank is located directly below the sink?

Now come the fun part what to replace this thing with? Any ideas? on demand electric?? you wisdom and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The girls are hoping for a navel shower.
Mine was/is an Insinkerator brand, trapezoidal in shape when viewed from the top. It's a 110V, and like 1der said, you need shore power to run it, or as I did once, run it with the engine idling.

To remove it, you need to remove the shelf around it, as the only other thing holding it in place are the actual plumbing pipes.

Bad news: Insinkerator doesn't make them any more, so you probably have to replace it with another brand of household undercounter WH if you stick with 110V.

The PO of mine let the original freeze and cracked the tank. I lucked out and SMB Indiana had some left, and I bought one, but that was a couple years ago. Never hurts to check.

I would recommend converting to a propane or diesel WH if you can. Hot water is really nice to have on a cold morning when I'm out in the boonies.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #6

there are some cool Isotherm hot water heaters, but not sure if this is one of them. I think that they have options to have both electric coils as well as a heat exchanger unit built in.

If you have propane on board, an on demand propane hot water heater is pretty inexpensive if you are showering outdoors. We used this system the better part of last summer for quick showers and washing dishes and with a few modifications I think it will work well. I'm local to you - feel free to PM if you want to have a beer and talk about vans.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #7

Josh
that would be great to meet up or just chat so i can pick your brain. I live on west side Thanks Chris
I do not know how to private message can you send me your info.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Water heater wows

At first I thought you were posting about being impressed by a water heater, "wows", not sure how to edit a title, but should read "woes". Anyway, price is a little steep, however, they may be betting on finding a buyer on the notion that the 7.3's are becoming harder to find. A broken water heater is relatively minor, either replace it with a propane or similar unit or just remove altogether, our in van water heater is our stove top. I would maybe look into another less costly option, we have a water tank and a propane fired hot water on demand little unit we travel with in our trailer for showers. Most important is the maintenance records on that 7.3, it's a great motor if properly maintained, we've had no issues with ours going on 130K. Yes, you'll want to sort some things out with the Quigley, but options are out there like Ramsey's rip kit, CCV adjustable torque arms or BOR fixed units, rear leafs, etc. Good luck!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

I actually originally had the 2 1/2 gal electric water heater in my van. I have replaced it with suburban 6 gal electric/gas so that might speak volumes in it's own.

Generally the tank was a bit on the small side, and it would not be something to run of of the battery. That said I was able to keep it on while driving and having the inverter on, so I could arrive at a camp site with some hot water. I would say the biggest issue was size.

I believe I still have the old heater in my garage, you would be welcome to it, if you were looking to just replace what was in there.

Here is a link to a write up I did on switching over, there are a couple of shots of the old heater, not really difficult to pull out.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tall-7301.html

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bend OR View Post
the water unable to be used and the heat is also not working .
Removing both the air heater and water heater and replacing with a hydronic unit will solve both problems and free up some space. Then you can pre-heat your engine too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote